Author Topic: Tesla driver arrested for backseat ride goes on another driverless cruise  (Read 167 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Tesla driver arrested for backseat ride goes on another driverless cruise
By Jesse O’Neill May 13, 2021 | 6:38pm

https://nypost.com/2021/05/13/tesla-driver-arrested-for-backseat-driverless-ride-does-it-again/

The Tesla driver who was jailed on Monday for riding in the backseat of his driverless car is reportedly back to his old tricks.

Param Sharma pulled up to an interview with KTVU in San Francisco Wednesday in the back of a brand new Tesla — that he bought upon his release from Santa Rita Jail to replace his impounded vehicle, the outlet said.

“Yeah, I’m rich as (expletive). I’m very rich,” the 25-year-old told the station in regards to his $39,490 impulse buy.

< Edited >
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:13:11 AM by adroth »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Bay Area man charged with reckless Tesla stunt was once declared 'the most spoiled kid in the US'
Photo of Joshua Bote
Joshua Bote
SFGATE
May 12, 2021
Updated: May 13, 2021 10:23 a.m.

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/Tesla-autopilot-Bay-Area-Param-Sharma-Instagram-16172049.php

At first, it seemed like a case of Silicon Valley d-baggery. The man is shown smirking at the camera, seemingly knowing that he got away with this potentially deadly stunt. 

When the first story was published on SFGATE, it seemed like a cut-and-dry case: A guy is putting others in danger by back seat driving his Tesla across the Bay Area, and, after some calling out of the CHP, he was caught just days later when the CHP received calls of him pulling the same stunt Monday night, the CHP said.

< Edited >

An onslaught of emails came in the days after SFGATE first reported on Sharma’s antics. Some were from people who said they were former classmates of his at Albany High. One read: “Please revoke his license.”

Another came from a person who identified himself as Sharma, saying that he was the owner of the car behind the stunt and offering his phone number to chat. And, in effect, he may have admitted to the crime: “That was my Tesla and I got it only to commute from the back seat,” the man claiming to be Sharma said in an email to SFGATE.

A bit of digging revealed that he did, in fact, want to be seen doing this driverless Tesla stunt. He posted it on his YouTube and Instagram accounts. (In them, he wears the same Ralph Lauren cap as he does in the YouTube video recorded by a third party that went viral.)

< Edited >

“He’s just been really kind of one of those guys who acts out, one of those guys who really needs to be the center of attention and to an extent turning dangerous or unacceptable, pretty much a constant thorn in the side of the school administration,” the classmate said. Sharma said he was “the most popular kid at my school” in one interview.

The former classmate said Sharma also encountered trouble with local police for another act of dangerous driving. He allegedly was arrested for driving on the opposite side of the road multiple times in Albany.

< Edited >