Author Topic: Additional (?) from Project Santa Barbara  (Read 618 times)

patikul

• Tyro
    • View Profile
Additional (?) from Project Santa Barbara
« on: November 30, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
Good morning!

I'd like to thank sir A here for accepting my membership in the forum. I recall several years ago the pictures of the Santa Barbara 'document' surfacing online. Glad to see they're preserved in this forum as well! Kudos!  ;D

I don't know if this is the correct location to post what majority already knows here. I believe social media does not provide the proper channel to discuss this matter because Marcos is a taboo topic for majority of the Filipinos. Naiintindihan ko. But whether people like it or not, this has been one of the instrument for our SRDP.

To cut to the chase, I'd like to illustrate here the additional pictures found from the very same document that is preserved here in this forum.

Gas Generator Development

The Bongbong 180mm rocket utilizes gas generators bought from Germany. The gas generator is one of the most significant and most expensive single part of this hydrazine-fueled rocket. It is hence of vital importance that we will be able to produce our own, considering that a hydrazine plant has been constructed and now on its way to full operation. The main aim of this project is to duplicate the available gas generator with the intention of independent production in the future. As an independent undertaking, this project was started last October 1, 1975.

A thorough examination and analysis of the structure, construction and composition of the available gas generator would be a decisive help in the approach to the problem. For the realization of this project, the following phases are planned:
I.   Qualitative Analysis of the Catalyst
II.   Quantitative Analysis of the Catalyst
III.   Synthesis – Ampregnation-Tests
IV.   Construction – Mechanical

The gas generator is one of the most significant and most expensive single part of the hydrazine-fueled 180 mm rocket. Currently, Project Sta Barbara utilizes gas generators imported from Germany. It is vital therefore that we be able to produce our own gas generators now that a hydrazine plant is on its way to full operation.

The Project: To duplicate the available gas generator with the intention of independent production in the future. The project, started October 1, 1975 consists of the following phases: qualitative analysis of the catalyst; quantitative analysis of the catalyst; synthesis-impregnation tests and construction-mechanical problems tests.

The Progress: Phase I has already started. The catalyst band itself consists of a carrier made of asbestos fiber, a supporting wire around the asbestos, and a coating. Simultaneous analysis are being conducted on the whole catalyst and the individual parts.

Hydrazine Production Project

At Sangley, infrastructure was completed in time for the arrival of the plant components and the Battelle engineers. The main plant structure used was an abandoned USN torpedo assembly building located at an approximately secluded area. Together with local personnel, reassembly work as well as the design and construction of necessary support systems were carried out. Details of this cooperative work and an account of startup operations was prepared by the Battelle Group.

The modified plant is designed to operate continuously as follows:

Hydrazine hydrate containing about 60% N2H4 and 40% is fed into the lower part of a 100 mm diameter glass distillation column. This column (A) has 3 packed stages. Aniline is fed at the upper part of column A at a rate about 10 times that of the N2H4 content of the hydrate, Operating of a reflux ratio of 3:1, the bottom product is expected to be about 90% aniline and 10% water while the top product would be about 80% water and 20% aniline. The top product goes to a phase separator from where the aniline is recycled back to A.

The bottom product of A is then fed to Column B which has 5 packed stages. Toluene is also introduced into this column. Operating at a reflux ratio of 5:1, the top product is expected to be an approximately equal mixture of hydrazine and toluene. The mixture is led to a phase separator where the anhydrous hydrazine product is collected and the toluene recycled to B. The bottom product is mainly aniline which is then recycled back to A.
The plant is now completely assembled and has undergone several pre-startup runs for the purpose of detecting leakages and ensuring correct liquid and vapor flow.

Due to many design changes in the new plant, actual startup procedure is more involved than that of last year’s.

For economic and other reasons, the startup process is being made without the presence of Battelle engineers. Some design changes were indicated by the results of the preliminary of debugging and trial operations will be needed before the plant can go into routine operation. When in full operation, the production capability shall be about 10,000 kg/yr on a 5 days/week, 24 hrs/day basis.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 06:36:10 PM by patikul »

girder

• View Profile
Re: Additional (?) from Project Santa Barbara
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 12:54:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  :)

Additional historical information is always appreciated.

Though please note that the existing Project Santa Barbara thread can be found here:

http://defenseph.net/drp/index.php?topic=212.msg8926

Under the Self-Reliant Defense Posture sub-forum. You'll want to post any additional information to that thread to keep things nice and tidy.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum Patikul

These were MBLT6's photos that were shared on the original Project Santa Barbara thread. For many, this was the first time they had ever heard of this project

patikul

• Tyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 02:35:51 PM »
Appreciate the kind gestures, sir girder and adroth!

Unfortunately I can't post on the said thread which contains the content of Project Santa Barbara.
I appreciate if I can reply on the thread so I can share more from the document.

Maraming salamat!

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 02:44:07 PM »
Feel free to post here. This is as good a place to start as any. :-)

girder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 05:00:07 PM »
D'oh! :o

I forgot that new members need to reach a milestone before they can post in some of the subforums.

In any case, as Adroth said you can post them here instead. We'll just quote them in the main thread afterwards.

patikul

• Tyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 06:47:57 PM »
Thank you sir A!

Anyway, here's a fun fact. The Project did not end up with the BB rocket. The team also undertook development of a Meteorological Sounding Rocket!

This rocket is intended to probe the atmosphere and gather data for weather observation and forecasting purposes.

Such tasks are being done by aircraft or weather balloons at present. Such systems have definite disadvantage. Utilizing an aircraft is extremely expensive just for weather observation purposes. Highly skilled personnel are needed to fly the plane and maintain it on the ground. The weather balloon, while not as expensive as the aircraft, has the disadvantage of being slow and inaccurate.

The disadvantages makes the rocket a favorable vehicle for such tasks. IT is relatively cheaper, more expendable and more accurate than a drifting balloon.

The weather rocket is not limited to atmospheric observations alone. It can also be utilized for rain-making purposes. Instead of the weather observation instruments and transmitter, a chemical dispenser can be placed as payload. This dispenser shall contain rain-inducing chemicals.

The payload requirements are quite light - 100 grams of silver iodide pellets for cloud seeding or a fow light and compact electronic device for atmospheric sounding.

The Sanba artillery rocket was therefore adopted as the basic design model. To attain the altitude requirement of 17,000 - 20,000 feet, a two-stage design was adopted.

The Progress:Two successful dynamic tests have been conducted, both 2-stage rockets with electronic and stage separation systems. These rockets are the first successful 2-stage rocket of their kind in the country, the performance of which can be compared to anti-aircraft projectiles. The rockets reached a height of about 5 kilometers in less than 15 seconds. This altitude is enough for cloud-seeding purposes.

Except for the propellants, the materials used in this rocket are all locally available. Like the other projects the skills were provided by local talents (navy personnel and employees). Modifications and improvements on these rockets are still going on.

However there's no picture of this as the whole paragraph is mentioned on a single page.