Author Topic: Philippines' Duterte warns China to back off disputed island  (Read 1666 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Philippines' Duterte warns China to back off disputed island
« on: April 06, 2019, 04:13:42 PM »
Philippines' Duterte warns China to back off disputed island
AFP News   AFP News4 April 2019

Yahoo

President Duterte has repeatedly said war with China would be futile and that the Philippines would suffer heavily in the process

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has warned Beijing to back off from a disputed island in the South China Sea, warning of possible military action if China "touches" it amid rising tensions over the key waterway.

Duterte, aiming to attract trade and investment from the Asian superpower, has mostly withheld his early criticism of Beijing's expansive claims to the sea -- a point of regional contention because trillions of dollars of goods pass through it.

But as the Philippine military warned this week that hundreds of Chinese coast guard and fishing vessels had "swarmed" the Manila-held Pag-asa island, also known as Thitu, the Philippine president spoke out late Thursday.

"I will not plead or beg, but I am just telling you that lay off the Pag-asa because I have soldiers there," Duterte said in speech to prosecutors.

"If you touch it, that's another story. Then I will tell my soldiers 'prepare for suicide missions'", he added.

Duterte has repeatedly said war with China would be futile and that the Philippines would lose and suffer heavily in the process.

< Edited >

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: Philippines' Duterte warns China to back off disputed island
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 06:43:59 AM »
Duterte raises PH concerns over South China Sea incursions with China's Xi
Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Apr 25 2019 09:04 PM | Updated as of Apr 25 2019 10:02 PM

abs-cbn

MANILA (UPDATE) - President Rodrigo Duterte raised Manila’s concerns over rising tensions in the West Philippine Sea during his bilateral meeting with Chinese leader Xi Jinping, Malacañang said Thursday.

Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Duterte particularly discussed the situation in Pag-asa Island.

“Both agree that the situation can be managed by the mechanism of bilateral negotiations but it should not affect the cooperation being undertaken by both the Philippines and China and they look forward to a productive discussion on matters of mutual concern and interests,” Panelo said Thursday.

Duterte’s fourth trip to the Chinese capital comes on the heels of the rising number of Chinese vessels near islands in the West Philippine Sea, the country's exclusive economic zone in the disputed South China Sea, and the continued harassment reported by Filipino fishermen.

< Edited >

Ahead of Duterte’s visit to China, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said the Philippines had already filed a “salvo” of diplomatic notes to Beijing over the presence of Chinese vessels near Pag-asa Island, which is part of Palawan.

< Edited >