Author Topic: Foreign Policy Under Duterte  (Read 4354 times)

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
Foreign Policy Under Duterte
« on: October 03, 2016, 06:18:29 PM »
Duterte ‘recalibrating’ PH foreign policy—Dominguez | Inquirer - October 3rd, 2016
President Rodrigo Duterte is not changing but is just “recalibrating” the country’s foreign policy, Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III told a Senate hearing on Monday.

Dominguez issued this clarification during the hearing of the Senate committee on finance when its chair, Senator Loren Legarda, asked about the impact of any change in foreign policy under the new administration amid the President’s pronouncements that he would build next year new alliances with China and Russia.

< snipped >

Responding to the queries, Dominguez said: “I would not say the foreign policy is changing, I think it’s just being recalibrated so that were are more open to other markets.”

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign Policy Under Duterte
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »
Criticism of drug war contributed to foreign policy shift, Duterte says | Philstar - October 20, 2016
"I said a few days ago, a few months ago, that I will charter a new course, changing direction of the foreign policy," Duterte said during a press conference during his four-day visit to China.

"Unfortunately, this started with the war against drugs," he said.

"What prompted me to change foreign policy is that almost getting a raw deal with the West and the EU (European Union) signed a manifesto and they told me it was prepared by the lawyers and I share that the lawyers warned me that I can be prosecuted," Duterte said.

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 01:50:08 PM »
Japan PM Abe to discuss PHL’s shift in foreign policy during Duterte state visit | GMA news - October 21, 2016
Duterte had repeatedly said that he will pursue an independent foreign policy, and has recently announced that he was breaking the Philippines’ military and economic alliance with the United States, the country’s longtime ally.

Duterte’s three-day state visit to Japan will be on October 25 to 27.

Aside from Abe, Duterte is also scheduled to meet with Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace. Emperor Akihito paid a visit to the Philippines last January during the administration of former President Benigno Aquino III.

Ueno said Japan and Philippines continue to maintain “very good” bilateral relations despite the change in the administration.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 07:17:51 AM »
Duterte: No cutting of ties with the US, just separate foreign policy
Published October 22, 2016 12:35am

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/585984/news/nation/duterte-no-cutting-of-ties-with-the-us-just-separate-foreign-policy

There will be no cutting of diplomatic ties between the Philippines and the United States, President Rodrigo Duterte said in Davao City on Saturday after midnight.

In a news conference upon his arrival from a four-day state visit in Beijing, Duterte said his declaration of an economic and military split with the US was about no longer following the superpower's supposed dictates rather than a severance of relationships.

"It's not severance of ties. When you say severance of ties, you cut diplomatic relations. I cannot do that," Duterte said.

Duterte said cutting diplomatic ties with the US would not be according to the interest of Filipinos, citing the millions of Filipinos and Americans "of Filipino ancestry in the US."

"What I mean was a separation of foreign policy... In the past we always follow what the US will give the cue," Duterte said.

< Edited >

jetmech

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »
...even with all the clarification and retraction, the bashing still leaves a sour taste and I hope he will realize it soon. A mature relationship (remains solid and strong) as what the US side have been responding to his bashing can only be stretched so far.

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »
Yasay: No backtracking on separating Philippine foreign policy from U.S. | CNN Philippines - October 24, 2016
In an exclusive interview with CNN Philippines, Yasay said the president's intended message is that the Philippines is freeing itself from America's tight grip on many of its affairs.

During a business forum in Beijing on Thursday, Duterte announced a military and economic "separation" from the U.S.

But Duterte clarified that he is not cutting ties with the U.S., an old-time ally. Instead, he wants to chart an independent foreign policy.

Critics accused Duterte of backtracking on his original statement.

"The question is, are we really backtracking? Or are they (America) saying it precisely from the viewpoint of their national interest?" said Yasay.

Yasay added, the U.S. has long provided the Philippines help – but with strings attached, such as policy requirements or concessions favorable to America.

However, Yasay said the Philippines and the U.S. will remain friends: "We will continue to respect our agreements with you. We know the many things that you have extended to us in the past for which we are grateful for."

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »
Japan wary over Duterte’s policy, manners | Inquirer.net - October 25, 2016
Duterte arrives in Tokyo later Tuesday for a three-day visit, his first as Philippine leader and as his recent remarks on foreign policy and freewheeling style have captured international attention.

For diplomats and political leaders, the main issue is Duterte’s foreign policy toward Washington and how Japan can help mend those ties.

< snipped >

Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida acknowledged Duterte’s remarks have triggered concerns, and told reporters he planned to ask what his real intentions were when the two have dinner later Tuesday. He said Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will do the same on Wednesday.

< snipped >

But in a country where formality and politeness are highly valued, others are worried about the rough side of Duterte’s manners. They are particularly concerned about his meeting with Emperor Akihito on Friday.