Author Topic: "Game of the Flag Officers"  (Read 23212 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: "Game of the Flag Officers"
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 11:19:34 PM »
in short, we were steamrolled by HHI like noobs.

We didn’t know how to write specs . . . left an opening . . . and the vendor used it. Now part of the organization is going “wait . . . Wait”.

but I want my TACTICOS!!!! 

Who will take responsibility for systems integration if the PN insists on customizing the order?

What you should want is “a CMS that does the intended job”. How is that possible in this clusterf*ck? Time to let the peole, who are actually doing the grunt work, earn their pay. With all that’s going on, they will arguable be given the space to put this project front-and-center.

El_Filibusterismo1978

• Timawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 07:57:32 AM »
it was blown out of proportion, the word "intervening" has a lot of meaning depending whose side is saying...

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 08:41:25 AM »
The GRP's response is to simply say "This is a non-issue"?  :o

From DND's official Facebook Page:

Source:

https://web.facebook.com/DNDPHL/posts/1685523654837977

WApinoy2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 09:54:10 AM »
Thats how it looks like to me Sir Adroth. They Trying to downplay this issue, taking advantage to the ignorance of the people regarding the real story behind this scandal.

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep, the Chairman of HANWA itself is famous in Korea when it comes to Corruptions and I would not surprise if HANWA representative inflected somebody from Malacanang for some lucrative offer to push there company interest.

"The Hanwha chairman, Kim Seung-youn, 60, was convicted of embezzling almost 300 billion won, or $264 million, and was ordered to pay a fine of 5.1 billion wonhttp://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/business/global/seoul-judge-surprises-tycoon-with-prison-term.html

"December’s surge in commercial and industrial performance allowed Airbus to meet or exceed targets that had seemed elusive a few months ago and caps a turbulent year for the company after rows over corruption investigations and management tensions. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-orders/airbus-wins-2017-order-race-after-last-gasp-sales-spree-idUSKBN1F40YU

The GRP's response is to simply say "This is a non-issue"?  :o

From DND's official Facebook Page:

Source:

https://web.facebook.com/DNDPHL/posts/1685523654837977

mayk

• Timawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »

We didn’t know how to write specs . . . left an opening . . . and the vendor used it. Now part of the organization is going “wait . . . Wait”.

Is it really a problem with the specs? Or the PN was caught in a catch 22 that the Koreans took advantage?

RADM Cejoco implies it was well written specs:

(Analysis paralysis on my part, but having participates in a lot of gov't bidding...)
I believe the specs was skewed towards the Koreans from the start and would even speculate that they (Koreans) helped in writing the Terms of Reference. I think the PN was surprised by the wrench thrown by the Indians (Indians knowing its a done deal with the Koreans that they might as well lowball and disrupt the deal) that they (PN) looked for legal loopholes to disqualiffy the Indians/GRSE. With the Koreans eventually winning they now know that the PN has no other option. They have the PN by the balls and in a take it or leave it situation.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »

Is it really a problem with the specs? Or the PN was caught in a catch 22 that the Koreans took advantage?

RADM Cejoco implies it was well written specs:

SBB NR DND-PN-FAP-16-01 doesn't quite line up with that account. Note that both Link16 and Link22 were specified . . . but were defined as FFBNW

No doubt the Koreans sought to take advantage. All vendors plays that game.

At the end of the day, its the PN's job to make sure that we aren't taken advantage of. With the dissolution of the PN Modernization Office sometime after 2010, and with the reshuffle of the DND in roughly the same time frame . . .

. . . there were significant knowledge gaps across the DND-AFP procurement system.

I believe the specs was skewed towards the Koreans from the start and would even speculate that they (Koreans) helped in writing the Terms of Reference. I think the PN was surprised by the wrench thrown by the Indians (Indians knowing its a done deal with the Koreans that they might as well lowball and disrupt the deal) that they (PN) looked for legal loopholes to disqualiffy the Indians/GRSE. With the Koreans eventually winning they now know that the PN has no other option. They have the PN by the balls and in a take it or leave it situation.

The specs actually mirrored the Maestrales. Press releases shortly after the discontinuation of the Maestrale project actually quoted the SND at the time as saying that they were going to buy a "new Maestrale".

The PN was lost. Under those circumstances, it should not come as a surprise that specs would be skewed one way or another.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:00:46 PM by adroth »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 02:30:47 PM »
Ex-Navy chief: ‘No hard feelings over relief from post’
ByPTV NewsPosted on January 18, 2018   

https://www.ptvnews.ph/ex-navy-chief-no-hard-feelings-relief-post/

MANILA — Despite his unceremonious relief as Philippine Navy (PN) flag-officer-in-command last month, Vice Admiral Ronald Joseph Mercado stressed he has no bitterness towards Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana.

“You know I’m a military officer, I obey orders, I know the Secretary of National Defense, he has some justification for doing it, so I respect it (his decision),” he added in an interview Wednesday.

The former PN chief added that he understands such decision as he has done it many times during his time as a leader of various naval units.

Lorenzana relieved Mercado from his post as PN chief last Dec. 18, citing loss of trust and confidence on the integrity and leadership of the naval officer.

This stemmed from the alleged fixation of the former on one company to supply the combat management system of the Frigate Acquisition Project (FAP), a contract won by South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries.

At the moment, Mercado is now assigned to the Office of the-Chief-of-Staff, Armed Forces of the Philippines on Special Duties.

Earlier, the ex-Navy chief cleared Special Assistant to the President (SAP) Christopher “Bong” Go of alleged intervention on the PHP18-billion FAP.

“This morning (Wednesday) my attention was caught by the reports when I saw a piece of paper, a post it, with my name on it, about an instruction given to me by the Secretary of National Defense about the frigate, and apparently because of that there were insinuations about Secretary Bong Go, and you know I just like to come out because, on my side when I was FOIC, he never once, with so many times, we were together in many foreign navy ships, and there was never an instance, not once that he even asked me about the frigate, never, and kaya when I’m hearing the news, well on my side only, he never intervened, much more talk to me about these things,” he added.

And when asked on whether Lorenzana told or ordered him to do something about the FAP, upon the alleged orders of the SAP, Mercado answered:

“Let me rephrase. Secretary Bong Go never directly mentioned to me anything about the frigate or indirectly from another person, I never heard any other person mention the name of Secreaty Bong Go in relation to the frigates, walang ganun.”

The FAP is one of the key pieces of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Modernization Program as it seeks to provide the country with the capability to deal with air, surface and sub-surface threats. It will be armed with a variety of missiles and guns capable of defeating such threats. (Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)

Invictus

• Timawan
  • "in the pipeline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 08:31:44 PM »
PN needs to equip warships with proven weapons system
By Priam Nepomuceno  January 22, 2018, 2:53 pm

This was emphasized by former Philippine Navy (PN) flag-officer-in-command Vice Admiral Ronald Joseph Mercado in a chance interview in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City Monday.

Obviously (you should) go to systems that are proven, If you want our country to be defended well, sa mga tao at least they have that assurance na yung barko natin kayang lumaban

In regards to claims that he is pushing for a particular brand of combat management system (CMS) for the frigates, Mercado said that he was only standing for the original position of the PN regarding the equipment it wants for its ships.

He added that the system the Navy wanted is more proven and in use in many naval forces in the world.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 11:52:55 AM »
Senate hearing on alleged irregularities in the frigate acquisition program | Feb. 19, 2018

https://youtu.be/yLJW6wdfffQ

mamiyapis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 12:16:59 AM »
"Hanwha still has to develop a Link-16 system..."

Dead giveaway that even the good admiral has been misinformed about TADIL(now just TDL) Link-16. The Koreans need not develop a Link-16 hardware component because it isn't there's to develop, they are not allowed to. Link-16 networks are controlled entirely by the US-based MIDS International Program Office, an office in the Pentagon controlled by the USN and a French officer typically, well... them and the original partner NATO countries.

The program office controls ALL work. Literally ALL WORK.

For example: When the PAF wanted to interface with Link-16, they asked for permission from the office and sent them a requirement for MIDS LVT hardware to be installed into the FA-50s. The IPO worked the request, and got approval from the partner nations on our behalf. They then drafted our requirements into an RFI and got quotes, then picked a contractor for us. The work is stamped a form of high-security FMS, with very specific conditions and restrictions.

The program office chosen contractor then flew to Korea to install the datalink kit into our FA-50s, with some assistance from DAPA and KAI.

Literally at no point in the decision making or hardware process were the Koreans or the Philippines ever involved. None. We were just there to receive the airplanes with the radios and terminals already installed. This is what I've been trying to get everyone to understand.

Naval Shield DOES NOT MATTER, because the Koreans do not have direct access to the TDL hardware... like Canada, Australia, Japan, UAE, Saudi Arabia... the list goes on of richer, more technologically capable countries who are simply at the mercy of the Program Office.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 01:48:12 AM »
I’m still a little more than half-way through the video. But finished enough to get through Trillanes’ part. The similarity of the data to certain social media leaks is interesting.

The letter from Thales disavowing involvement in Naval Shield is notable. Now we know where use of the term “Baseline zero” came from. The letter, however, only pointed out at what point Thales and Samsung (now Hanwha) diverged. Naturally, Thales can only comment on the state of the partnership to that point.

However . . . observers who were privy to that document, to include Trillanes, appear to be making the assumption that DAPA, and consequently Samsung (Hanwha), would stop development of Naval Shield at the point of the split. Given that development of a national CMS was identified as a national priority, cessation of development of a CMS — that a tier-one navy is already using for its own survival  — is a stretch.

What remains unclear in all of this, and I’ve been asking this from day one of this fracas, is how much of the Thales-Samsung CMS lives on in Naval Shield?

Did South Korea replicate Thales’ secret sauce fast enough that the Thales-Samsung partnership was deemed redundant? Sadly, DAPA / Hanwha won’t be talking about how good or bad their system is.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
Sen Gordon summarizes the frackas nicely in time index 20:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF-zqYYhT_A

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »
PH Navy chief on frigate deal: Nothing unethical with supplier complaint
By: Frances Mangosing - Reporter / @FMangosingINQ
INQUIRER.net / 08:41 PM October 22, 2018

Philippine Navy chief Vice Adm. Robert Empedrad said he sees nothing unethical in the move of President Rodrigo Duterte to receive and act on a complaint by South Korean supplier Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) over the multi-billion peso frigate deal.

“There is none. It’s just normal..parang gusto mong mag complain, mag complain ka doon. Pero na-address naman eh (You want to complain, so you complain, but it has been addressed),” he told reporters Monday when asked if the complaint of the South Korean firm raised ethical issues.

Last week, Duterte admitted that he personally acted on the complaint of the South Korean supplier chosen to build the two warships, saying he referred it to his top aide Bong Go.

This was the first admission of the President of his role on the issue.

< Edited >

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1045732/ph-navy-chief-on-frigate-deal-nothing-unethical-with-supplier-complaint#ixzz5UoAEoknR
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook