Author Topic: What should the average Filipino know about defense?  (Read 12764 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
What should the average Filipino know about defense?
« on: November 15, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »
As a republic, the Filipino people need to understand both the need for defense as well as the price of freedom. Credible defense of the Republic of the Philippines would not be possible without it.

If this forum is to succeed in its goal to help raise defense consciousness among our fellow citizens, we must -- ourselves -- have an understanding of we need to highlight as a community.

Timawans . . . members . . . Tyros . . . your thoughts?

Blue

• Tyro
    • View Profile
Re: What should the average Filipino know about defense?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 02:44:13 PM »
I think basically, an average fellow Filipino must understand that spending for defense is not a waste of money. That it is an investment especially in times of calamities...

roystik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 02:47:42 PM »
Defense spending can't and shouldn't be sacrificed for social development. It's tempting to say the cost of 1 frigate can build x many classrooms or feed y many families, but they are 2 completely different, and important things.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:20:10 PM »
History is a very powerful teacher.

Both the successes and mistakes of the past must be learned so that we, as a people, can make smarter choices in the future. Not only in matters of defense, but statecraft as well.

This is why this forum has always taken a keen interest in hoax-busting. There are a fair number of historical revisionism going on in social media. Memes that would have us misinterpret history -- if not attempt to over-write it with a version that favors a specific agenda.

Invictus

• Timawan
  • "in the pipeline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
The average Filipino must know how important it is to secure the country and what will we gain if we are able to protect our territories. Average citizens doesn't even know the economic implications if the country doesn't have the means to protect its maritime domain. Case in point, West Philippine Sea. 

Whenever there are news about defense budgets or acquisitions, there are those that questions why the government is allocating more funds, buying this and that when it can be spent for food and school buildings.

This is a gap that this group should also aim to address.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:27:18 PM by Invictus »
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

LAT@TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 05:09:28 PM »
I think the Filipino needs to know the proper name of our vehicles, because I often see people and news articles calling an APC/IFV/any vehicle with a mounted weapon in camouflage paint a "tank"

Mr. Pitz

• Defense technicalities are a thing
    • View Profile
    • Pitz Defense Analysis
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »
A typical Filipino citizen must know that arming up is all about defending the country and not some useless matter where it will be a waste of money and instead relying on pure diplomacy and allies without any weapons of our own. In other words, we must know about the word 'deterrence' and its meaning where we are not waging a war against anybody as what many have believe when weaponries are acquired and instead understand that we are acquiring such to deter foreign agression as they will think twice whether they will attack the country or not.
Never assume unless otherwise stated.

Protect the integrity, sovereignty and welfare of the Philippine Republic

LAT@TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »
If I may add to what I said earlier....
The average Filipino must understand that every inch of our territory is sacred. It should not be surrendered so easily to any potential adversary that wants to clam/ take it for themselves, as this is,for me, one of the most tangible things that previous and current generations can leave to the succeeding generation of Filipinos.

kilosierraromeo

• Tyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »
Since a lot already said that defense spending is a necessity if I may add
The average citizen should realize that the AFP's main mission is Defense, AFP is a combat branch of the government, therefore equipment acquisition of the AFP must focus on its capability in combat rather than HADR ,since the government has its dedicated HADR branches such as the PCG.
(I'm not saying that the AFP should disregard HADR but it should not be the priority or the justification in order to acquire an equipment)

And another, the people should realize that the AFPs mission is also external defense, the average Filipino must know that just because a SAM system cannot be used against rebels because they don't have any aircraft, that doesn't mean its a waste of money.

Sinagtala

• Sic Parvis Magna
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 12:21:57 AM »
A lot have already took note of why at times we have to spend more on 'guns' than on 'butter.' From viewing posts both on the former forum, and on the Facebook extension, there are a number of problems that the community might be able to address to provide average Filipinos a better understanding of defense in general, and the need to spend for defense.

1. Clarifying the roles of acquired defense materiel

What I noted about the average FB user making comments regarding defense materiel is that they give focus on how good-looking the equipment are, rather than the details about the use of the equipment. More so, they are also fond of generalizing. For instance, because the SF-260s are propeller- driven or any plane that uses propellers, they would label it as "vintage", "Ay, Tora- Tora, luma na 'yan, gamit pa 'yan nung World War 2" comments without taking into account its designated functions. Admittedly, I have limited knowledge of the functions, capabilities and limits of our AFP's equipment can provide.

Recommendation
With this, I suggest to the forum body to discuss significant notes regarding the functions, capabilities and limits of defense equipment, not limited to those that are already in the AFP inventory, as much as possible in layman's term to be easily understood by our fellow citizens.

2. Distinctions among various AFP units giving emphasis on 'special operators'
For those who are knowledgeable about the various AFP units, one can easily recognize and tell from what AFP unit a soldier belongs through their uniforms, patches, insignia, and such. But for an average 'just-interested-about-it' citizen, they, at times, commit mistakes about it, and use-terms interchangeably.

Recommendation
The previous Timawa forum provided a discussion about the differences of the various specials operations groups of the AFP. I suggest to the body to create a new one, complete with their uniforms and insignia/ patches, but taking into account that it won't compromise OPSEC.

3. Recognizing the role of AFP in nation-building
Some would still think that because AFP is a military organization, their job is limited to providing security, defending the country, taking out the 'bad guys' and such.

Recommendation
Create a discussion regarding AFP's role in development, providing national awareness in various issues, the significant role it plays in calamity-devastated and war- torn areas, and its various civil- military operations.
"I know that I know nothing." - Socrates

kyuzoaoi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »
I think that the media and the public must distinguish between different types of armored vehicles. When I see Philippine media use the word tank on an IFV or an APC, I feel that more education is needed to differentiate a tank from either an IFV or an APC.

mamen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 03:35:01 AM »
In my opinion, the basic understanding of the effects of having a good defense do to a country. Putting more emphasis on the reasons why we need to spend more on defense as much as health & education.

citizend13

• Tyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 08:29:03 AM »
I really want people to just be more informed. I'm kind of tired of hearing people saying " 'bat di tayo bili na lang ng f-22 corrption kasi"

sirius

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »
-Defense spending. After all, its their tax dollars at work.
-The different threats the republic faces. Threat to sovereignty, terrorism, separatists, communists, etc.
-How each defense acquisition addresses each threat. It seems the President had recently questioned the purpose of the FA-50PH.

wild_feather08

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 09:45:15 AM »

3. Recognizing the role of AFP in nation-building
Some would still think that because AFP is a military organization, their job is limited to providing security, defending the country, taking out the 'bad guys' and such.

..In connection to Sinagtala's item #3, The effort during disaster response, is sometimes overlook by an average citizen. That they are acting "double-blade" during a relief operations on some critical areas, also (communications establishment) reporting disaster damage assessment when all civilian/commercial communication lines are downed.