Author Topic: Boeing discussing AH-6i sale to Philippines  (Read 2313 times)

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
Boeing discussing AH-6i sale to Philippines
« on: May 07, 2020, 07:04:27 AM »
https://www.janes.com/article/95960/boeing-discussing-ah-6i-sale-to-philippines

Boeing discussing AH-6i sale to Philippines
05 May 2020

While the PAF has a twin-engined attack helicopter requirement for which both the Apache and the Bell AH-1Z Viper were approved for sale on 30 April, the army is looking for a single-engined light attack helicopter. The service does not currently field a helicopter type, but any AH-6 procurement would likely replace 12 ageing MD 500MGs now flown by the PAF. The MD 500 is also a 'Little Bird' derivate of the same Hughes OH-6 Cayuse (Hughes Model 369 in its civilian version) that spawned the AH-6.

While both the AH-64E and AH-6i would make highly capable stand-alone solutions for both the air force and army respectively, Jamison noted the synergies between the two platforms. The AH-6i is equipped with the same avionics and human-machine interface (HMI) as the larger AH-64E. The AH-6i and the AH-64E share 83% of their mission software, so much that Boeing has previously stated that "when the AH-6i wakes up, it thinks it's a baby Apache". Having two such closely aligned airframes would provide benefits for support, training, and operations.

=====

See also:
* Boeing Light Attack/Recon helicopter
* U.S Approves Possible Attack Helicopter Sale to PHL
* Keeping the MD-520 in the air

https://www.janes.com/article/88581/boeing-to-offer-ah-6i-for-australian-sof-role

Boeing feels its Little Bird would be a good fit for Australia's special forces helicopter requirement. Source: IHS Markit/Gareth Jennings

Manokski

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Boeing discussing AH-6i sale to Philippines
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:35:14 AM »
Interesting development, especially if these go to the Army.
Maybe the PAF would be better off divesting itself of rotary assets and concentrate on fixed wing assets. There would be more funds available to fill out the Super Tucano purchase, Fighter purchases, Heavy lift etc.
Let the Army get the all the Hueys, all the MD-520s. All of them.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:20:54 PM »
Maybe the PAF would be better off divesting itself of rotary assets and concentrate on fixed wing assets. There would be more funds available to fill out the Super Tucano purchase, Fighter purchases, Heavy lift etc.

If the funds for rotary assets go to the Army, the corresponding funds go with them. They won't stay with the PAF.

Manokski

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:13:03 PM »
Sure, but the PAF wont have to buy or beg or borrow those funds. The Army has to do it.  Still a plus for the PAF imho.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 03:13:06 AM »
Sure, but the PAF wont have to buy or beg or borrow those funds. The Army has to do it.  Still a plus for the PAF imho.

Actually the PAF would actually have to beg and borrow all over again because it won't have those funds any more. Those would have to be transferred along with the assets. Any SAROs that would have released funds for those assets would be transferred to the service that actually needs them.