Author Topic: What is a Fanboi?  (Read 1314 times)

40niner

• Global Moderator
  • Obsolete weapons do not deter.
    • View Profile
What is a Fanboi?
« on: November 13, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »
FANBOI
- an excessive, ardently devoted, irrational following of a certain technology, popular culture or material item.
- it can be derogatory or a complement -- depending on context.

----
In this DRP.net Forum, you will encounter this term or concept once in a while, especially when discussions goes down into a level or irrationality.

Are we fanbois to a certain degree?

You thoughts please -- it matters...

Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

nonamer

• Tyro
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Fanboi?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »
In my early years I could consider myself as a fanboi. I mean what guy who wouldn't fantasize having cool toys and weapons without having to consider it's advantages and disadvantages. But forums like this has cooled my fanboi jets and I now have to consider other factors like cost and advantages of new systems to already existing and proven systems.

Mr. Pitz

• Defense technicalities are a thing
    • View Profile
    • Pitz Defense Analysis
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 09:23:35 PM »
All of us came from fanbois who admire sheer firepower and appearance while disregarding any other factors. In this matter, forums like this and other credible sites therein separates fanbois from those people who know the basics of support services and other factors given that makes a certain equipment effective over the other...
Never assume unless it is highly stated.

Protect the integrity, sovereignty and welfare of the Philippine Republic

El_Filibusterismo1978

• Timawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 11:36:55 PM »
I am a fanboi of military equipment since i was in grade school. It was a product of too much watching Vietnam war movies and Rambo series to the point that I draw what i saw in tv back then...

When i was in Grade 2, it was the first time i saw a V-150 and a Scorpion tank which is part of the Military parade of our City Foundation back in Mindanao... I salivate to ride on one of them someday.. until now, di pa rin ako nakasakay. Hanggang tingin lang ako sa tv..

Invictus

• Timawan
  • "in the pipeline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:22:59 AM »
From the Urban Dictionary:

Someone who is hopelessly devoted to something and will like anything associated with their particular thing.

We were all fanboi once... until we joined the FB extension groups of Timawa. I was schooled and I learned.

Not saying that I am not rooting for anything pointed and shiny. Still have the inner fanboi within :D

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:27:16 AM by Invictus »
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

hughdotoh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 04:10:02 AM »
Fanboi is a small start. It's the obstinacy and refusal to read through facts that sorts a fanboi from a real student.

SG99n1

• Timawan
  • Multiple Split Personality in Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 08:32:42 AM »
I am a fanboi, that was 30 years ago, when I saw a USAF fighter jet flying over my head in school. The first time  I saw APC's rumbling down the road in front of my school on the days leading to the fall of a dictator.

I joined Timawa 2009. I was just curiosity after endlessly reading Manokski's website.
I stayed and loitered in the forum to honor my friends who died in the battles in Basilan and Sulu
by updating myself with the AFP's modernization and telling it to friends during our nights drinking.

I remember being hammered in the head by that old fart ladyboy named GAR and enjoyed the care of Masq afterwards.
Hugh is here, 40, and all the rest of the sane timawans. Ka nognog for his wisdom.
I wish B6, PUG, those Cebu Gun Nuts are already in this forum.
And pray to the god named Horge to come too.

I am still a fanboi? yes I am, an educated one. and drunk as always.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:36:22 AM by SG99n1 »
I say jump! You say how high?

kyuzoaoi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »
The term fanboy is actually something confusing, especially in this era of internet and social media. Fanboy is just a lengthening of fan.

However, in this context, fanboy meant a male who is over-obsessive in a hobby, a franchise, or a viewpoint regardless if he was objectively right or objectively wrong.

djbaracudz

• Tyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:15:26 AM »
     I was once a fanboy. I rememember when I was a high school student and the  F16 was just entering service, me and my bro,
we would make a copy using only papers and lots of glue which mother says a paper mache model. I use to follow every development
on that bird that i can say " i know every inch of it "... even the so called "fly by wire " tech which was new then i can say i know.
But ask me what it really was... I really don't know.
      Years have gone by and I am really into military hardware without really knowing the real deal, then I stumbled upon Timawa. I lurked
for a while before finally registering. Then I realized I have plenty of things to learn.
      I'm stil a fanboy but a schooled one if that is safe to say. I'll do what most grizzly timawan veterans will say...read more, post less...
      fanboy forever I guess...

mamen5_11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
I can say I'm a fanboi for military stuff, anything to do about the military I indulge it. Its the reason why I stumbled into timawa way back few years ago as a lurker.

citizend13

• Tyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 02:15:40 AM »
there are fanbois and there are fanboys. I think it's perfectly alright to be a fanboy - within reason. It's when discussions are derailed into an all out flame war that it becomes a nuisance. For example: The f22 is an amazing aircraft. you'd be perfectly fine point out how gosh darned awesome it is. but when you start saying that the philippines should get one, you officially turn from fanboy with a y to fanboi with the i- for idiot.

Robbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 05:23:29 AM »
there is a Fanboi in all of us...to a certain degree... more for others... lesser for some. but just keep it real.

wyvern1_6

• Timawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 04:32:00 AM »
We're all enthusiasts of some kind in here. It's when our advocacies spill over into the irrational and we allow discussions to degenerate into school playground arguments that we let out the latent fanboi.

Sinagtala

• Sic Parvis Magna
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 08:45:03 AM »
"Are we fanbois to a certain degree?"

Perhaps, yes, and that is varying among people based on their inclination to a certain area of discussion, especially when it comes to equipment. If it becomes more excessive, it can be harder to correct, thus making people more irrational.

As what my former professor said, "The coin has two sides, but cannot meet each other. You in the third person must see it."

To have a more productive discussion, the members of this community should always bear in mind the pros and cons, and be mindful of others' perspective. More so, understand the points of those who specialize in the certain areas being discussed.
"I know that I know nothing." - Socrates

Jaypee the fifth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 10:01:28 PM »
The first thing came to mind when i heard this word was an irrational military enthusiast who wants immense firepower. AFP Watchdogs  FB forum is the most infested by the fanbois. My first enlightenment in acquiring military equipment was during my job interview at Fleet-Marine Warfare Center (FMWC). My interviewer provided me a sample on how to conduct a study for a certain naval equipment. The sample document that my interviewer presented was all about the submarine. Just follow the famous forum saying "Read more, post less". To tell you guys, some forum members are really knowledgeable in some defense matters compared to us who are and formerly working inside at defense dept.