Govt-NPA talks/ceasefire (updates)

(1/2) > >>

MCentaur:
Ayoshi, please place updates on the current round of talks on this thread:

Interaksyon

--- Quote ---Govt, Red discuss bilateral ceasefire in Manila talks
By: InterAksyon.com
September 22, 2016 11:44 AM

MANILA, Philippines -- Government and communist rebel negotiators met in Manila after agreeing to discuss an indefinite bilateral ceasefire and the reactivation of a human rights monitoring mechanism ahead of the second round of formal peace negotiations in Norway early next month.

Both sides met at the Norwegian embassy in Taguig City on Tuesday and Wednesday. The meeting was facilitated by Norwegian Special Envoy to the Peace Process Elizabeth Slattum. The European country acts as third-party facilitator of the peace talks.

"This is another breakthrough in the peace process,” government negotiator Hernani Braganza said in a statement.

(...SNIPPED)

--- End quote ---

Invictus:
Reds threaten to end monthslong cease-fire

--- Quote ---Communist rebels in the country warned President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday that they may be forced to end their monthslong cease-fire and resume fighting if he does not suspend the government's counterinsurgency program and withdraw troops from rebel-influenced areas.

The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) said that if Duterte fulfills the demands by January and releases remaining political detainees through an amnesty, it can guarantee the cease-fire's extension, helping to foster peace talks brokered by Norway.

New People's Army guerrillas, however, will be forced to engage troops if the president presses the military's deployment of troops in what the rebels claim as "guerrilla zones" in the countryside, the outlawed party said in a statement.

<snipped>

--- End quote ---

Invictus:
 "I said I can only do so much. Now, if it’s terminated, then it’s terminated." ~ PRRD

No more peace talks with Reds? So be it
By Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) | Updated December 12, 2016 - 12:00am

--- Quote ---President Duterte is not discounting the possibility that negotiations with the communists may be terminated following disagreements over the rebels’ demand to free individuals whom they claim to be political prisoners.

Duterte admitted he has conceded too much to the communists, noting that he has freed many of their leaders who are facing criminal charges. 

“Recently, I wanted them to start the talks but they want 130 (persons) released. I said ‘no, I cannot.’ As a matter of fact, I conceded too much too soon,” Duterte told the troops at Camp Aquino in Tarlac yesterday.

“I said I can only do so much. Now, if it’s terminated, then it’s terminated. But I cannot (yield to them forever). I already released their leaders, all of them. They are now in Norway. What more do you ask of us? I’ll run out of cards if I keep on releasing their comrades,” he said.

The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) has demanded the government should free more than 400 persons it claims to be political prisoners. They warned that failure to do so could result in the collapse of the unilateral ceasefire declared by the two parties.

<snipped>

--- End quote ---

girder:
This thread has been woefully un-updated...
Peace talks set in PH
April 13, 2017

--- Quote ---For the first time in 31 years, formal peace negotiations between the Philippine government (GRP) and the local communist movement will be held in the country on April 20, 2017.

“Definitely, this will happen. Socio economic reforms will be settled in the country at our level,” Roberto Ador, head of the GRP Comprehensive Agreement on Socio Economic Reforms (CASER) group head, said.

Discussions on CASER, considered the “heart and soul of the ongoing peace talks between the GRP and the Communist Party of the Philippines-National Democratic Front (CPP-NDF),” will be held either at the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) or at a venue to be provided by Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista, a member of the GRP CASER Team.
--- End quote ---

Ayoshi:
Duterte: No talks until NPA stops 'extortion' | Philstar - July 6, 2017

--- Quote ---Duterte said the “revolutionary tax” being demanded by the NPA, the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, is just another term for extortion.

“I refuse now to resume the talks with them (communists) until they stop extortion. People will say they pay taxes and yet they do not receive protection and they are being extorted by the NPA,” the president told reporters in Malaybalay, Bukidnon.

Duterte said the “revolutionary tax” being demanded by the NPA, the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, is just another term for extortion. “I refuse now to resume the talks with them (communists) until they stop extortion. People will say they pay taxes and yet they do not receive protection and they are being extorted by the NPA,” the president told reporters in Malaybalay, Bukidnon.
--- End quote ---

Fire safety officers stand next to mining trucks that were said to have been set ablaze by New People’s Army rebels in Itogon, Benguet in February. Andy Zapata Jr., File

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version