Author Topic: DFA verifying Chinese ship harassment of Filipino-crewed ship in West PH Sea  (Read 259 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
The incident

https://youtu.be/GC_sGI0aG_Y

====

DFA verifying Chinese ship harassment of Filipino-crewed ship in West PH Sea

'We will verify the facts of the incident then relevant offices will make the appropriate recommendations,' says the Department of Foreign Affairs

Sofia Tomacruz
Published 2:12 PM, November 02, 2019
Updated 2:12 PM, November 02, 2019

https://www.rappler.com/nation/243987-dfa-verifying-chinese-ship-harassment-filipino-crewed-ship-near-scarborough-shoal

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Saturday, November 2, that it was looking into a report that a Chinese vessel harassed a Filipino-crewed commercial ship near Scarborough Shoal (Panatag Shoal) in the West Philippine Sea last September 30.

< Edited >

But several minutes later, the Chinese vessel started moving in the direction of the Green Aura's path to block its passage. Ebora radioed the Chinese ship to ask why his ship should alter its course, insisting on the right to innocent passage.

Ebora kept insisting on innocent passage until a stern voice replied. Identifying itself as the China Coast Guard, it claimed that the area was under the jurisdiction of China and that Ebora and his men "should keep away." The Chinese ship then tailed the Green Aura to drive it away.

Ebora, who has been a commercial ship captain for 15 years and is a Philippine Navy reservist with the rank of lieutenant commander, said the Chinese ship violated navigation rules, citing its position intending to cut the Green Aura in its course and then tailing it afterwards. Ebora also said the shoal was closest to the the Philippines.

< Edited >
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:36:30 AM by adroth »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Lorenzana commends Filipino captain who defied ‘Chinese warship’ in West PH Sea
The defense chief also rebuts the 'Chinese naval warship' crew’s claim that Panatag Shoal is ‘under the jurisdiction of the Chinese government’

https://www.rappler.com/nation/244004-lorenzana-commends-filipino-captain-faced-chinese-warship-west-philippine-sea

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine defense chief commended the Filipino captain of a commercial ship that was accosted by a “Chinese naval warship” near Scarborough Shoal in the West Philippine Sea on September 30, saying the seasoned mariner handled the situation well.

< Edited >

Ebora and his crew of 21 Filipino sailors onboard the Liberia-flagged, Greek-owned crude oil tanker Green Aura were passing 6 nautical miles from Scarborough, or Panatag, Shoal off Zambales at around 7:30 pm on September 30 when their radar detected the presence of several Chinese vessels in the vicinity, many of them registered as belonging to China Coast Guard (CCG).

As the Green Aura neared the shoal, it received a radio call from what claimed to be a “Chinese naval warship.” The voice on the line ordered them several times to alter the Green Aura’s course, but Ebora resisted, pointing out that they had the right to innocent passage in the area, and that the shoal was not Chinese territory but Filipino.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Ship captain in Chinese vessel spat hailed as hero but might lose job
Batangas City commends the 'exemplary courage' of seasoned seaman Manolo Ebora, who calls on the government to also make a stand for Filipinos' rights in the West Philippine Sea

JC Gotinga
Published 7:26 AM, November 06, 2019
Updated 12:38 AM, November 07, 2019

https://www.rappler.com/nation/244242-ship-captain-chinese-vessel-spat-hailed-hero-might-lose-job

BATANGAS CITY, Philippines – Manolo Ebora’s voice wavered as he spoke before the city council, and his speech was more defensive than valedictory, even if he was there to be officially commended as a hometown hero. Heroism, he was learning, comes at great cost.

< Edited >

Suddenly uncertain

What was really bothering Ebora was his future, which was suddenly uncertain. He had just finished a contract when he came home from China on October 29. Now, he was unsure whether his employer would hire him back after what happened.

“Nais ko rin pong ipaalam na wala pong kinalaman ‘yung kompanya ko, yung PTC, Philippine Transmarine Carriers Incorporated, [at] ‘yun pong Liberian-flagged na Green Aura na owned ng Greek company,” he told the council, adding that his turn with the Chinese vessels was his personal stand as a Filipino.

(I also wish to inform everyone that the incident had nothing to do with my company, PTC, Philippine Transmarine Carriers Incorporated, and the Liberian-flagged Green Aura that is owned by a Greek company.)

Was he in trouble with his employer? “Palagay ko mayroon. Nararamdaman ko,” he said. (I think so. I feel it.)

“Kahit na – hindi natin alam – kunwari lang, wala nang mag-hire sa akin, walang magtiwala na mga – kasi business ‘yan eh. Wala na akong magagawa,” he added.

(Even if – we never know – supposing no one would hire me anymore, no one would trust me – because that’s business. I can’t do anything about that anymore.)

Ebora might be disappointed by the tepid response from the national government, and troubled by what could be an abrupt end to his erstwhile successful career, but he said he would not change a thing. What he said and did, arguing with the Chinese intruders on September 30, he would do again if necessary.

“But anyhow, masaya rin ako dahil hindi lang pala ako nag-iisa. Marami pala tayo na kung magsasama-sama, karapat-dapat lang na manindigan tayo, ‘yung para sa atin,” he said, buoyed by the public recognition from his hometown and the outpouring of congratulations and admiration from people on social media.

(I am happy to know that I am not alone after all. There are many of us who, if we band together, must rightfully stand up for what is ours.)

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana had commended him for how he handled the situation with the Chinese vessels, saying he did the right thing, and his attitude was “admirable.”

“Masarap pakinggan (It’s good to hear),” Ebora said of the defense chief’s opinion of him.

< Edited >
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:21:53 AM by adroth »