Author Topic: Duterte approach on China  (Read 878 times)

MCentaur

• Timawan
    • View Profile
Duterte approach on China
« on: September 24, 2016, 06:37:54 AM »
Duterte to Foreign Investors: Lumayas kayo, I'll deal with China, Russia instead

GMA News

September 22, 2016

"Do not keep complaining about my mouth because my mouth is not the problem. It cannot bring down a country," said Duterte in a speech in Cagayan De Oro on Thursday.

"Ang issue dito hindi ang bunganga ko. And they are saying the ratings sa business, sa economy. Eh 'di so be it. Lumayas kayo. Then we can start on our own. I can go to China. I can go to Russia. I had a talk with them. They are waiting for me. So what the hell."

Credit rating agency Standard & Poor's (S&P) Global Ratings earlier said an upgrade for the Philippines was unlikely because of investor concern over the political climate.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:21:01 AM by MCentaur »
Philippine Defense Forces Forum (PDFF)

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"- Gen. George S. Patton

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
Re: Duterte approach on China
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
China to lift travel warning vs PH during Duterte trip | Rappler - October 14, 2016
Asked by Filipino reporters when this is taking effect, the Chinese ambassador referred to Duterte's upcoming trip to Beijing: "During your President's visit."

Duterte is set to make a state visit to China from October 18 to 21.

China issued its travel warning against the Philippines in September 2014. China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs advised Chinese citizens "not to travel to the Philippines for the time being...given the worsened security situation" in the Southeast Asian country.

Zhao earlier clarified that this was "not a travel ban per se." Neither was it an order. He said this was only "an advice."

< snipped >

No talk of sea ruling

Zhao said China will avoid discussing this ruling during Duterte’s trip to Beijing.

He said the two countries will focus on matters that "unite" them, such as tourism and the fight against the illegal drug trade.

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 01:58:17 AM »
Interview: Philippine president says "only China can help us" | xinhuanet.com -  2016-10-17
Duterte starts a four-day state visit to China on Tuesday at the invitation of his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping.

The visit will help him better understand China, Duterte told Xinhua in an exclusive interview on Thursday.

He spoke highly of the Chinese government and people, saying that China boasts hard-working people and "good, sound policies, internal and external."

"I would say that China deserves the kind of respect that China now enjoys," he added.

Duterte also lauded China's commitment to and generosity of helping others as a major player of the international community, adding that besides its own development, China has never forgotten those underdeveloped nations, as illustrated by its devotion to helping African and Southeast Asian countries to promote development.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
Time index 06:55

https://youtu.be/77qewVIdo3c

Arguably, Duterte is banking on the long history of lines of communication between the respective government apparatus of the US and PH to provide alternative static free communication. Not the least of which is SND Delfin Lorenzana who used to be military attache to the US.

My take on his approach: Create tensions with an ally that should be able to weather the stress . . . to mature and broaden the relationship between our countries.

One can only hope that the incoming ambassador (See here) picks up on the breadcrumbs that Duterte has been seeding each time the question of the future of US - PH relations comes up.

His refusal to simply come out and say what he wants is frustrating. But if you piece together what he expects from the US, from the ACTUAL recordings, what he wants out of the US is actually quite clear.

1. Overt support for the Philippine position in the WPS. Arguably in the same league as the US support of the Japanese position in the Senkakus. You can trace this to his "who would die for my country except us?" statement in the video above. Time index 03:18.

2. Full access to equipment as should have been granted by our "Major Non-NATO ally" status. See here

3. Broadened support, beyond military aid, for various initiatives. See here

Arguably if he asks for specifics, those could potentially be all that he gets. By making only the displeasure known . . . and leaving the resolution to the other party . . . he is apparently gambling that we'd get better deals than would otherwise be the case.

His position completely ignores how US-PH got to its current state. Few countries know more about our dirty laundry than the US, so realistically there is a reason why we get treated the way are. They know our screw ups better than most because a lot of them were done in their presence.

The approach that's been advocated in this community for years is that the Philippines should EARN the US's trust. To prove that we have matured as a country. Duterte . . . has other ideas for achieving what are ultimately the same ends: A strong country that can stand with its friends, but is not dependent upon them.

I personally wouldn't have the guts to play "poker" like this. Not with an entire country's well-being in the balance. But I recognize the need for a President to play his or her hand as they see it.

=====

I honestly don't believe he intends to walk away from the US. At least in the manner that a lot of folks fear. I personally believe he is intends to follow India's non-aligned route which pursued mature relations with all the great powers. Why walk away from the US when the goal is to pursue good relations with all.

PH-China relations are at an all-time low, and diplomatically, China has received a black eye because of the Philippine victory at UNCLOS.

So why his tone in the light of Chinese theft of Philippine shoals?

See time index 4:00 in the video above.

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:49:41 AM »
Commentary: Duterte's visit presents overdue opportunity for China-Philippines rapprochement | xinhuanet - 2016-10-18
The visit surprises many around the world. It comes at a time when China-Philippines ties have nosedived to a historical low because of the farcical South China Sea arbitration case brought by Duterte's predecessor Benigno Aquino III against China.

In a reflection of his keenness to repair the seriously damaged relations, the new Philippine president chose China to be the first country he visits outside the Association of Southeast Asian Nations since taking office in June.

< snipped >

Given the positive signs, Duterte's widely-watched visit to China functions as a litmus test of his sincerity and political wisdom. Among others, he needs to resist the temptation to thrust the so-called final award in the arbitration case to bilateral talks on the South China Sea issue. The verdict issued by a law-abusing tribunal has no place in the negotiations at all.

< snipped >

A Beijing-Manila detente will be richly rewarding not only on the political and diplomatic fronts. With mutual trust restoring gradually, bilateral exchanges and cooperation in business and other areas will heat up in tandem.

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 03:20:19 AM »
South China Sea looms over Duterte visit | Inquirer.net -Agence France-Presse / 03:42 PM October 19, 2016
Duterte has said his trip will focus on promoting economic ties. Foreign affairs spokesman Charles Jose has said: “There will be a lot, I mean a lot, of business contracts that will be signed.”

In an editorial Tuesday, China’s nationalistic Global Times newspaper called on the government to “reciprocate Duterte’s overture” by giving the Philippines access to fishing grounds near Scarborough Shoal — a move which would imply that such rights were China’s to give.

“Filipino fishermen fish on a shoestring and are unlikely to jeopardize the ecosystem of China’s waters,” the paper said.

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 01:25:54 AM »
Duterte allows Xi to take lead on South China Sea issue | Philstar - October 20, 2016
Vera Files reported Wednesday, quoting a Malacañang source that Duterte “will take up the South China Sea issue “if raised” in his four-eyes meeting with Xi on October 20. He will not initiate to raise the issue of the arbitral ruling but will respond if mentioned. However, his key message on the matter of Scraborough shoal will be asserting the fishing rights of Filipinos there, but while this is his wish ‘he will listen and will not make any imposition on the Chinese side.’”

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »
PH pivot to China explained | ABS-CBN news - Oct 20, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K309ILyz7q4&lc=z12ozx3abrnbsn41y23qvpmbjlbvh54vy

A Special Series on State of the Nation with Jessica Soho - July 25, 2017

https://www.facebook.com/stateofdnation/videos/10155444043276977/

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:07:27 AM by Ayoshi »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 03:22:19 AM »
Palace: We’re not China’s spokesman
By: Philip C. Tubeza - @inquirerdotnet
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 07:44 AM August 11, 2017

Malacañang on Thursday denied that the Philippines had become China’s “spokesperson” in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean).

Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said the Philippines, which currently chairs the Asean, was tasked with coming up with the joint communiqué that was satisfactory to all member-countries of the group.

“I think that’s overly interpreting things,” Abella said of criticisms that the Philippines, under the Duterte administration, had gone soft on China.

During the recent 50th Asean Ministers Meeting in Manila, Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano admitted that the Philippines did not want to mention in the final communiqué land reclamation and militarization in the South China Sea.

“You know … being chair, our main task was to produce a joint communiqué that all Asean members would sign regardless of differences in position,” Abella said.

“And we did that. And we do hope that all our future Asean building efforts reach full fruition especially for the November summit,” he said.

< Edited >

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/159623/palace-not-chinas-spokesman#ixzz4pXEc3td0
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook