Author Topic: PH to consider decommissioned USCG cutters  (Read 799 times)

adroth

  • Administrator
  • Boffin
  • *****
  • Posts: 8087
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
PH to consider decommissioned USCG cutters
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »
PH to consider decommissioned USCG cutters
Published January 9, 2019, 5:30 PM
By Francis Wakefield

https://news.mb.com.ph/2019/01/09/ph-to-consider-decommissioned-uscg-cutters/?fbclid=IwAR0Zr4YzO744tzW9JXvZOAXHY9sAWYe9wPHU9Xfh-i3TUbxY359T_Vd4918

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said that the Philippines will consider accepting Hamilton-class cutters from the United States if offered.

Lorenzana made the remark as the United States Coast Guard gradually phases out its Hamilton-class cutters from its inventory.

“We will not actively ask for it. Pag offer nila sa atin, titignan natin kung pabor sa atin [If they offer it to us, we will look at it and see if it will favor us],” Lorenzana said.

< Edited >


adroth

  • Administrator
  • Boffin
  • *****
  • Posts: 8087
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: PH to consider decommissioned USCG cutters
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 04:11:38 PM »
Arrival of 2 frigates to ease PH Navy patrol missions
By Priam Nepomuceno  January 11, 2019, 12:10 pm

http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1058596?fbclid=IwAR2x0Ylkxdi67zkZg9B8QKAwS6hopaLTpLd0dQIUNGjFa8mlXuL-yXmCdUU

MANILA -- The Philippine Navy (PN) will be in a more comfortable position to carry out its patrol mandate once the two missile-armed frigates, currently being constructed by South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI), gets delivered in two years’ time.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana made the statement Friday when asked whether the Navy has sufficient assets to perform its duties, as several of its most capable ships are slated for periodic maintenance and upgrades.

This includes its flagship, the BRP Gregorio del Pilar (FF-15), which is still awaiting its replacement propellers following its grounding at the Hasa-Hasa Shoal on August 29 last year.

The ship is expected to become available for patrol duties by the end of the year.

"Hindi naman sabay sabay na pupunta sa repair dock 'yang mga yan. Scheduling lang yan (These ships will not be repaired all at the same time. It is a matter of scheduling). In two years’ time, when we get our two frigates, we will be more comfortable," he said in a message to the Philippine News Agency (PNA).

HHI is expected to deliver the first ship by 2020 and the second by 2021.

The Philippines and HHI signed a PHP16-billion contract for two missile-armed frigates, with another PHP2 billion set aside for its weapon systems and munition.

When asked whether the defense department is planning to acquire additional Hamilton-class cutters from the US, which are being decommissioned and replaced with newer vessels, Lorenzana said the Philippines will wait first for the US to offer the ships to the country.

"No, we are not. We will await their offer and study if the acquisition is in line with our PN modernization," he added.

The Hamilton-class cutters were converted by the PN into the frigates, BRP Gregorio del Pilar, BRP Ramon Alcaraz (FF-16), and BRP Andres Bonifacio (FF-17). (PNA)

dr demented

  • Global Moderator
  • Boffin
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: PH to consider decommissioned USCG cutters
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 01:04:41 PM »
Interestingly, the FY2019 budget for the US Coast Guard does not list a Hamilton class cutter for decommissioning.  It does call into question whether the USCG is able to maintain the decommissioning schedule that was seen in previous posts.


https://www.uscg.mil/Portals/0/documents/budget/2019%20BIB_FINALw.pdf