Author Topic: Understanding "insider" information  (Read 5330 times)

LionFlyer

• Timawan
    • View Profile
Understanding "insider" information
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:39:08 PM »
Seeing all the angst over the FAP post, I thought I'll share my own thoughts on this subject.

I'm not Filipino nor do I have access to any "shoulder taps" from your country. But having been around long enough on defense matters, I had similar "insights" on several occasions on other matters.

As a mutual acquaintance said, although the information might be accurate, whether it is the entire truth is a matter of debate. What really matters is why such information are given out.  For example, there is a US defense writer (his article are published in major US newspapers) that regularly churn out "one-of-a-kind" articles, that contain detailed, previously unknown facts and regularly cite "unnamed US sources". The sort of facts that would only be available to government intelligence sources.

I'm given to understand that his sources are linked to a group of people (uniformed/civilian from both the Pentagon and State) with their own agenda to influence public opinion and to pressure the government on certain aspects of their foreign policy.

Of course, whether this true or not is a fair question, but one has to be mindful of serving another person's agenda by being their mouth piece. It is par for the course that these things happen.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: Understanding "insider" information
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 02:28:42 AM »
Now that defense spending is at an all-time high, vendors and their local counterparts are now circling the various modernization office more than ever (they've always been there, and you could tell from all the pre-made free plastic models lining the offices).

Instead of formal lobby groups, they can now create momentum for their products, or sabotage successful vendors, with viral marketing.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 11:56:18 PM »
The battle of the business reps is playing out on defense social media

tagalacion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 06:40:51 PM »
Seeing all the angst over the FAP post, I thought I'll share my own thoughts on this subject.

I'm not Filipino nor do I have access to any "shoulder taps" from your country. But having been around long enough on defense matters, I had similar "insights" on several occasions on other matters.

As a mutual acquaintance said, although the information might be accurate, whether it is the entire truth is a matter of debate. What really matters is why such information are given out.  For example, there is a US defense writer (his article are published in major US newspapers) that regularly churn out "one-of-a-kind" articles, that contain detailed, previously unknown facts and regularly cite "unnamed US sources". The sort of facts that would only be available to government intelligence sources.

I'm given to understand that his sources are linked to a group of people (uniformed/civilian from both the Pentagon and State) with their own agenda to influence public opinion and to pressure the government on certain aspects of their foreign policy.

Of course, whether this true or not is a fair question, but one has to be mindful of serving another person's agenda by being their mouth piece. It is par for the course that these things happen.

Couldn't agree with this post more.  And, in most cases, it's really hard not to notice the agenda of the "leak", either.  Militics is real.  The FAP flap was a good example.

And just like those dogged reporters of yester-years, many bloggers of today wouldn't mind being a "mouthpiece" to advance a certain agenda if that's the price to pay for a scoop.  And it's not hard which blogs those are.  All you need to do is to follow the vitriol.  :o

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 11:21:43 PM »
The PN Frigate and Corvette programs are the most complex weapon systems the AFP has ever acquired. Requiring the re-activation of dormant navy ratings and the creation of new ones. There is much to learn, which is why the PN wants as much commonality as possible to simplify training. Hence the SND's statement below. Skills, procedures, and lessons learned with one project can be applied to the other.

It also explains why the selection of the Frigate Acquisition Project was so contentious, because where the frigate went . . . prudence demanded that that is where subsequent projects would go as well.

South Korea offering to finance PHL’s P30-B corvette purchase from Hyundai
Published August 23, 2019 7:38pm

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/705538/south-korea-offering-to-finance-phl-s-p30-b-corvette-purchase-from-hyundai/story/

South Korea is offering to finance the Philippines' acquisition for the Navy of two modern corvettes, worth P30 billion,from Korean shipbuilder Hyudai Heavy Industries.

"Its government to government  because we're having difficulty producing the amount. The two corvettes cost P30 billion," Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said.

"And the Korean government is willing to finance it and we'll pay it through the years, maybe five to 10 years. So its a very enticing proposal because we don't have outright money," said Lorenzana.

< Edited >

Lorenzana said the deal for the corvette is still being finalized.

< Edited >

"The corvette is not yet signed with Hyundai but that is what the Navy wants so the builder of the frigates and the corvettes is going to be one only, so that the systems, parts are similar, there will be inter-operability and so that if they, its easy to repair them," he added. —NB, GMA News