Author Topic: New Philippine Navy BDU  (Read 9159 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
New Philippine Navy BDU
« on: June 07, 2018, 05:26:42 PM »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:51:25 PM by adroth »

girder

• View Profile
Re: New Philippine Navy BDU
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
Hm, curious. It looks mostly shades of black,grey and white. I wonder what the basis was for the color scheme?

Manokski

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
It's ugly. Everyone has marpat so the navy has to have one too?

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
Reportedly, this BDU will not replace the blue working uniform.

Ironically, the USN is ditching its own blue digital camo as part of the effort to reduce the number of uniforms

The Navy is ready to dump the military's most pointless uniform
By: Mark D. Faram   
April 23, 2016

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2016/04/23/the-navy-is-ready-to-dump-the-military-s-most-pointless-uniform/

Editor's note: This article was first published on April 22 at 4:23 p.m. EDT and has been updated.

After six years in the fleet and some controversy, the blue-and-gray cammies could be headed for Davy Jones' seabag.
The digital blue Navy Working Uniforms were a fleet mainstay until 2013 after they were found to be unsafe to wear while fighting a fire. One plan is ditching these blue Navy working uniforms in favor of their green cousin. The service could potentially save millions by switching to the woodland cammies already worn by Seabees and master-at-arms. The green-and-tans are also not flame-resistant but would be the standard for ashore wear; flame-resistant coveralls and flight suits are mainstays for at-sea wear.

Under a proposal currently being considered by Chief of Naval Operations John Richardson, the service could ditch the blueberries in favor of it's green cousin — NWU Type III.

Dumping the digital blues, also known as the NWU Type I, is a move that's been quietly discussed by leadership in recent years.
"I think that there are a lot of folks who wouldn't be sad, I guess, if Navy working uniform Type I went away," Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson said in an interview.

He’s heard sailor's complaints that the heaviness of the fabric makes it hot from shoulders to boots. Sailors have told him it's "very uncomfortable," he said.

Sure, the blue NWUs have been popular with those who like the battle dress-styling. But its camouflage is an open joke. Sailors have called it their "blueberries" and gagged that their foremost value is concealing paint spills. Even the Navy secretary has mocked it, saying three years ago that "the great camouflage it gives is if you fall overboard."

=====

girder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »
I always wondered why the USN needed to get a camo uniform that would have made it harder to find sailors that went overboard. The most reasonable explanation they gave out was that it was primarily to hide grease stains and such.

Ayoshi

• Timawan
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 02:51:12 AM »
http://defenseph.net/drp/index.php?topic=38.msg12666#new

Philippines Navy ship sets off for Russia | Philstar - September 22, 2018 - 12:00am

Members of a 400-man Navy/ Marine contingent wave from the BRP Tarlac in Manila as they depart for a visit to the headquarters of the Russian Pacific Fleet in Vladivostok yesterday. Photo: Edd Gumban

virose09

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 02:53:53 PM »
Why not adopt the new camo pattern for the whole AFP? It would probably more economical and strategic?

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 06:41:55 PM »
Why not adopt the new camo pattern for the whole AFP? It would probably more economical and strategic?

There’s more to uniforms than just how they look. There is functionality that is unique to each service that actually have more to jobs that individuals perform.