Author Topic: China 'ready' for war if PH pushes arbitration win: retired general  (Read 506 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
China 'ready' for war if PH pushes arbitration win: retired general
Christian V. Esguerra, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Jul 11 2017 02:39 PM | Updated as of Jul 11 2017 03:52 PM

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/07/11/17/china-ready-for-war-if-ph-pushes-arbitration-win-retired-general

MANILA - China is ready to wage war if the Philippines insists on its arbitral win that rejected the basis of Beijing's sweeping claims over the South China Sea, a former military intelligence chief warned Tuesday.

< Edited >

"If we pursue this decision of the Hague, China is ready to go to war to defend what it perceives as its territorial integrity and sovereignty," Corpus told a forum.

< Edited >

China has built artificial islands in the South China Sea and equipped them with runways, missile systems, and communication facilities.
It also seized control of Scarborough Shoal following a standoff with the Philippine Navy over Chinese poachers caught in 2012.
Asked what the Philippines should do in the face of China's construction in the disputed islands, Corpus said: "They fortify whatever they have now. We fortify whatever we have. Status quo."

"But we cannot prevent them (and say) 'You don't build this or build' that because they will not agree and if you meddle with those things, you will have war," he said.

Corpus said the Philippines need not bring up the arbitral ruling if it could agree with China to set aside their respective sovereignty claims and focus on other areas of cooperation.

Last May, both sides began a bilateral consultation mechanism that would eventually tackle the maritime dispute.

"Even if we debate for a hundred or even a thousand years, we will never come to an agreement and eventually, we will go to war," Corpus said.

< Edited >

horge

• Timawan
    • View Profile
Re: China 'ready' for war if PH pushes arbitration win: retired general
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 09:23:30 PM »
Quite a few years back, I ran into Victor Corpuz at an AFAD Gun Show.
Armscor had this air pistol range and was handing out neutered-45ACP keychains to anyone who could
score a bullseye in three pops. We lined up pretty much at the same time, but hey, age before beauty.

Corpuz shot his three, didn't get a bullseye, and actually hung around a bit while I took my turn.
Yes, I took home a keychain, but it was mostly luck: my two other shots were barely on-paper.
Corpuz' grouping was pretty tight.

That's the way it is, sometimes.
What you put out can be all tight and coherent ...and yet miss the whole point:

What I'm saying is: okay, say we 'pragmatically' get into some joint-use agreement with China.
It's 'defeatist' rather than 'pragmatic', unless you can guarantee that China won't still bully you around,
to your extreme disadvantage, WITHIN and DESPITE said agreement... and what does China's record
suggest when it comes to honoring agreements?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:32:15 PM by horge »