Author Topic: Kagitingan sa Barangay Award  (Read 1069 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Kagitingan sa Barangay Award
« on: February 03, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »
Administrator's note: See also companion discussion on the forum's FB extension: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rpdefense/permalink/1565538406865334/

====

From: http://www.chanrobles.com/presidentialdecrees/presidentialdecreeno310.html

PRESIDENTIAL DECREE NO. 310

PRESIDENTIAL DECREE NO. 310  - PROVIDING FOR THE CREATION OF AN INDIVIDUAL DECORATION TO BE KNOWN AS "KAGITINGAN SA BARANGAY" AND THE "BARANGAY PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION BADGE" TO BE AWARDED TO MEMBERS AND/OR UNITS OF THE INTEGRATED CIVILIAN HOME DEFENSE FORCES (ICHDF) AND OTHER CIVILIAN OFFICIALS WHO HAVE DISTINGUISHED THEMSELVES IN THE CAMPAIGN AGAINST INSURGENTS, SUBVERSIVES, AND OTHER LAWLESS ELEMENTS

WHEREAS, certain lawless groups in our society are in open defiance against the duly constituted government of the Republic of the Philippines;

WHEREAS, the ICHDF has been called upon to assist in the suppression of such lawless elements and in the restoration of peace and order throughout the country to provide the necessary climate for the integrated economic development of the nation and promote the well-being of the people;

WHEREAS, it is necessary to recognize the valuable services of the ICHDF members and other civilian officials who have distinguished themselves in the peace and order campaign;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, FERDINAND E. MARCOS, President of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested in me by the Constitution as Commander-in-Chief of all the Armed Forces of the Philippines and pursuant to Proclamation No. 1081, dated September 21, 1972, Proclamation No. 1104, dated January 17, 1973 and General Order No. 1, dated September 22, 1972, do hereby decree and promulgate as part of the law of the land, the following:

Section 1.    There is hereby created an individual decoration to be known as the "Kagitingan sa Barangay" and the "Barangay Presidential Unit Citation Badge", to be awarded to individual members and/or units of the ICHDF and other civilian officials who have rendered conspicuous service in the restoration of peace and order in the country.

Section 2.    The Kagitingan sa Barangay shall be divided into three categories:

a.    Lakan — to be awarded by the President of the Philippines to any ICHDF member or other civilian official who has participated in action involving actual conflict with an enemy distinguishing himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. He must perform in action a deed of personal bravery or self-sacrifice, so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish him from other members, or the performance of which is more than ordinarily hazardous service. 

b.    Datu — To be awarded by the Secretary of National Defense to any ICHDF member or other civilian official for acts of conspicuous courage and gallantry in the face of an armed enemy. He must perform an act or acts of heroism so notable and involving risk of life so extraordinary, as to set him apart from other members.

c.    Maginoo — To be awarded by the Chief of Staff, AFP to and ICHDF member or other civilian official for gallantry in action not warranting the award of the Lakan, Datu or Kagitingan sa Barangay. It may be awarded to recognize single acts of merit or meritorious service accomplished with distinction by any civilian official either in duty, responsibility or in direct support to military operations.

Section 3.    The Barangay Presidential Unit Citation Badge shall be awarded to any ICHDF unit which has rendered exceptionally outstanding service in the peace and order campaign upon recommendation of the Chief of Staff, AFP through the Secretary of National Defense. To qualify for the badge, the unit must have distinguished itself in combat and achieved extraordinary accomplishments which set it apart from other units.

Section 4.    The Kagitingan sa Barangay may be awarded posthumously to any person entitled thereto, in which case the same shall be received by any of his legal heirs, and if there are no legal heirs, by his nearest of kin or any other person designated by competent authorities.

Section 5.    The Secretary of National Defense shall prescribe such rules and regulations concerning the designs and specifications of the Kagitingan sa Barangay and Barangay Presidential Unit Citation Badge, the manner of wearing them and such other details pertinent thereto.

Section 6.    This Decree shall take effect immediately.

Done in the City of Manila, this 17th day of October, in the year of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and seventy-three.

====

Discussions related to the CAFGU

CAFGU

====

Award  Awardee

Lakan

Datu

CAFGU AA Nonito A. Cabarles Sr.

Maginoo

CAFGU AA Sandy Sentelices

CAFGU AA Yolly Perez

CAFGU AA Reynante Lagata

Atty. Ricardo B. Nepomuceno (Posthumous)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:06:50 PM by adroth »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: Kagitingan sa Barangay Award
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 07:57:04 PM »
Outstanding AFP officers, soldiers, Pacquiao to be given awards

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/12/21/08/outstanding-afp-officers-soldiers-pacquiao-be-given-awards

President Arroyo is set to award medals and decorations to military officers and enlisted personnel as part of the anniversary celebration of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Monday.

A statement by Malacañang Sunday said Mrs. Arroyo would “pay tribute to the brave men and women of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) who have dedicated their lives in the service of the people on the occasion of the AFP’s 73rd anniversary celebration.”

Ceremonies for the distribution of the awards was described as the highlight of the anniversary celebration to be held at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City.

. . .

Others who will receive awards in the anniversary celebrations are the following:

. . .

Kagitingan sa Barangay (Category of Datu) award - CAFGU AA Nonito A. Cabarles Sr.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:07:42 PM by adroth »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »
Past awards . . . sadly no clarification regarding category of the award.  jeez

12 soldier awarded medals of valor

http://www.bicolmail.com/issue/2006/july20/12.html

CAMP ELIAS ANGELES, PILI, Camarines Sur- The 9th Infantry (SPEAR) Division of the Philippine Army based in Bicol through its commanding general Napoleon B Malana awarded medals of valor to 12 soldiers and a CAFGU member of the Alpha Company of the 42nd Infantry Battalion, headed by commanding officer LtC Dece M Yabo.

Photo Caption: Brigadier General Napoleon B Malana, commanding general of the 9th Infantry (SPEAR) Division of the Philippine Army, awards medals of valor to soldiers of the 42nd Infantry battalion.

2Lt Lavrente M Meriales, Sgt. Baltazar S Nazareno, Cpl Edito P Tabayag Jr., Cpl Rommel M Espinosa, Pfc Vincent P Tanay, Pfc Delmar Peter D Pilago, Pfc Orlanedo T Garcia, Pfc Richard O Panesa, Pfc Michael Intia, Pfc Ben A Tacoro, Pfc Elmo D Esquillo, and Pfc Roger A Sto Domingo were awarded the Military Merit Medals (MMM).

CAFGU member Manuel V Sapinoso was also awarded the ‘Kagitingan sa Barangay’ medal.

The said infantry battalion company was awarded medals of valor for showing ‘courage under fire’ during a military operation in Sitio Kuluyan, Hobo, Pasacao, Camarines Sur that killed Julius Capin and Julie Regachuelo, and wounded Edelben Godino. All were alleged members of the New People’s Army.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »
Here's an interesting tidbit about Atty Ricardo Nepomuceno. A respected CAFGU member

ka nognog

Quote from: Adroth on December 23, 2008, 10:57:37 AM

Atty. Ricardo B. Nepomuceno (Posthumous)

sir, i think i know this guy... if i am not mistaken he was that brave lawyer there in bicol who was very passionate in his hatred for the NPAs... he was one of the very, very few lawyers there who were brave enough to file cases against NPA personalities and defend soldiers accused of human rights violations... he was enducted into the cafgu although he did not serve as a regular cafgu would. he instead serve as the ready lawyer of military units there... he also spoke against the NPAs in radio stations and in anti communist forums. he survived several asssasination attempts until his luck ran out at around 2003 or 2004 yata (killed by a sparu team while he was in his car in albay)... and.. he was doing all of these during the time when the SPARU was very active in bicol... when we had an average of 3 killed every month.

although i heard a lot about him, i met him only once and i asked him why his passion against the npa, and he smiled then and just told me that "bumabawi lang..." i did not dig further and  i never learned the real story behind...

it may not be much for his family, but at least it was nice to know that he was recognized pala...

Adroth
Administrator

Thanks for sharing Sir K.  beer

Its always nice to hear an award going to those who deserve it.

ka nognog

Re: Kagitingan sa Barangay Award - for citizen soldiers who help with ISO
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:11:35 PM »   
Quote from: Adroth on March 12, 2009, 07:54:33 AM
Thanks for sharing Sir K.  beer

Its always nice to hear an award going to those who deserve it.

you're welcome, sirA. i'm glad you found that info... it is always good that others will know that there are a lot of ordinary people out there who really do their share, even if they are not in the active service... i had been reading that thread about "Reservist lang Pala"... and there are a lot of people outside the service that had really earned my respect... atty nepomuceno was one... there were also those six ex-npas that i had the privilege working with. they were skilled and i am proud of them. they have my respect and trust. there was also that ham radio enthusiast who helped me with my signal commo problems when i was a company commander who willingly assisted me in developing my company signal section into the best in the division for free! this was the time prior to harris radios and cell phones, and the lack of radio was one of the main problems of tactical units....  and many cafgus who served with bravery and dedication nothwithdstanding the problems attendant with cagfu administration.

there are a lot of them that remained unrecognized...

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 08:05:27 PM »
Philippine Army awards outstanding personnel on its 112th anniversary

http://www.army.mil.ph/press_release/2009/March/23032009.htm

. . .

The Kagitingan sa Barangay Award was received by Cafgu Active Auxiliary (CAA) Bernardo E Aniel for gallantry in action as a member of the collection team of Headquarters Service Company, 2nd Infantry Battalion, 9th Infantry Division, PA in an encounter with 10 fully armed NPA terrorists on September 20, 2006 at Irosin, Sorsogon which resulted to the killing of an NPA terrorist and recovery of two M16 rifles.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:06:11 PM »

CAMP AGUINALDO – The Armed Forces of the Philippines commemorates its 74th anniversary on December 24 with a series of events and activities celebrating the organization’s milestones and achievements. Scheduled to grace the said event is Her Excellency Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, President of the Republic of the Philippines and Commander-in-Chief, AFP as the Guest of Honor and Speaker.

. . .

The Kagitingan sa Barangay in the Category of Maginoo will be awarded to CAA Reynante Lagata during an encounter with more or less 15 communist terrorists at Sitio Tingting, Brgy Ginorangan, Lagonoy, Camarines Sur on 14 June 2008. Said encounter resulted to an enemy killed, recovery of two M16 rifles, two hand grenades, several ammunitions and other subversive documents.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »
From: http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/12/21/16/meet-the-outstanding-soldiers-of-the-armed-forces

CAA Sandy Sentelices

Kagitingan sa Barangay (Maginoo) – For conspicuous courage and gallantry at the risk of life beyond the call of duty during the successive encounters operating in the area of Camarines Sur that inflicted heavy casualties to the enemy and recovery of war materials thereby displaying the vital contribution of the CAFGU to the AFP.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 08:28:51 PM »
http://www.afp.mil.ph/index.php/8-afp-news/227-afp-celebrates-79th-founding-anniversary

CAA Sergio P Ebañez Jr, member of the 17th CAFGU, A Coy, 72nd Infantry Battalion, will receive the Kagitingan sa Barangay award for the risk of life beyond the call of duty during an encounter with over 30 NPAs in Compostela Valley.

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:34:17 PM »
From: https://pcoo.gov.ph/december-21-2015-news-releases/

During the anniversary celebration, outstanding AFP members and stakeholders, who showed passion to service and bravery on the field of duty were recognized.

The awardees were Presidential Security Group Commander Raul Ubando (Philippine Legion of Honor); Army Captain Dranreb Lansang (Distinguished Conduct Star); Brig. General Apolinario Alobba (Distinguished Service Star); Navy Sergeant Raul Montero, TSgt. Menardo Ibanez and Pfc. Ronie Gusto (Gold Cross Medal); 2Lt. Rezel Faith Sela (Meritorious Achievement Medal); MSg. Bernard Blanco and Pfc. Cyrus Vincent Verdote (Bronze Cross Medal); CAA Yolly Perez (Kagitingan sa Barangay – Maginoo); TSg. Joel Alegre (AFP Enlisted Personnel of the Year); Engineer Wenefredo Abalos (AFP Model Civilian Supervisor of the Year); Efren Tabtab (AFP Model Civilian Employee of the Year); C/Col. Juan Miguel Cabrera (Male ROTC Cadet of the Year); and Cdt. LtC Lanie Martinez (Female ROTC Cadet of the Year).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:37:02 PM by adroth »