Author Topic: Before the S211s were in air superiority grey  (Read 3281 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Before the S211s were in air superiority grey
« on: January 22, 2018, 12:19:38 AM »
When the PAF decommissioned its F-5A Freedom Fighters in 2005, the PAF embarked upon Project Falcon that pressed the S211 in an air defense role. In addition to transferring F-5 gun sights to the S211, it also resulted in the now-familiar air superiority grey color scheme.

Before that change . . . the aircraft had a variety of colors. This thread celebrates those days.

Various photos from the old forum. Credit to the owners

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:28:36 AM by adroth »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: Before the S211s were air superiority grey
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:21:54 AM »

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:25:52 AM by adroth »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: Before the S211s were in air superiority grey
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:28:24 AM »

bat21

• Timawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »
forgive my ignorance. but why did they retire the f-5's? it shouldn't be lack of spare parts, there's plentiful of them in the world market. operational cost? may be may be not. but if you can have budget to fly the s-211's, there should have been some also for the f-5's. it would have taken just some budget adjustments. i dont know. i sure am not an expert and familiar with the ins and outs of the AFP. im just a member of this forum who gets information from . . . well, from this forum. forgive my ignorance guys. but there is a saying in military aviation, "Never make an aircraft do WHAT IS NOT DESIGNED TO DO." the s-211 is a trainer, dont make it a fighter. thank goodness it was never actually use for air defense combat. it would have never had a chance. thank goodness we have the fa-50's. though its an advance trainer at least it has light air combat capabilities. if it was me, we should have upgraded the f-5's and kept em flying. thank goodness modernization is moving forward. aim high PAF. btw, nice photos adroth.

gemini1

• Timawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
Structural fatigue is what I remember.
It would cost way more to keep it flying compared to the S211, plus I think then pres cory was not supportive of a well funded AFP/PAF.
On a side note, when the F5s were retired, 10 were kept on storage. 5 were still in flyable condition and the other 5 would need parts to make it flyable. Had the PAF pushed for at least funding those remaining jets, they would not have been in the condition prior the the FA50s arrival. We probably would have been able to jump straight to a true MRF.