Author Topic: ex-USS LCI(L)-1058  (Read 352 times)

adroth

  • Administrator
  • Boffin
  • *****
  • Posts: 6426
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
ex-USS LCI(L)-1058
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »
From: http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/15/151058.htm

LCI-351 Class Landing Craft Infantry (Large):

Laid down, 23 March 1944, at DeFoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, MI.
Launched, 7 April 1944
Commissioned USS LCI(L)-1058, 18 April 1944, LT. R. B. Purdy USN in command (May 1945)
Reclassified Landing Craft Infantry (Guns) LCI(G)-1058, 31 December 1944
Reclassified Landing Craft Infantry (Mortar) LCI(M)-1058, 30 April 1945
For the Okinawa Gunto campaigns USS LCI(M)-1058 came under the command of:
LCI Flotilla Fourteen CAPT. T. W. Rimer USN;
LCI Group Forty, LCDR. H. Brown USNR;
LCI Division Eighty
Decommissioned, date unknown
Struck from the Naval Register, date unknown
USSLCI(L)(G)(M)-1058 earned three battle stars for World War II service
Transferred to the Philippine Navy, 2 July 1948
Final Disposition, fate unknown

adroth

  • Administrator
  • Boffin
  • *****
  • Posts: 6426
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: ex-USS LCI(L)-1058
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »
Landing Craft, Infantry (Large) - LCI(L)
Most recent update: May 4, 2015.

http://shipbuildinghistory.com/smallships/lcil.htm

The Landing Craft, Infantry (Large), or LCI(L), was originally going to be designated the APY, a variant in the AP/APA/APc family: the Y came from the British, who referred to their small landing craft as Y-boats and wanted a "big Y-boat".

In total, 923 LCI(L)s were built, by only ten shipyards.  The basic design, used for the first 350 boats, was 158.5 feet in length and 216 tons in light displacement: the remainder were six inches longer and 30 tons heavier.  There were four variants: LC(FF)s were configured as Flotilla Flagships; LCI(G)s had two 40mm Guns and ten Mk. 7 rocket launchers in addition to the standard armament of four 20mm guns and six .50-cal machine guns; LCI(M)s had a dismountable 4.2" Mortar; and LCI(R)s had six 5" Rocket launchers.  Note that many LCI(G)s later became LCI(M)s or LCI(R)s.  Note also that those LC(FF)s that went to Britain were redesignated LCHs by the British, the H standing for Headquarters, and some of these were later redesignated LCSs by the Canadians, the S standing for Staff.  Note that the very small number that were still active in the US Navy in 1949 were redesignated LSILs.

< Edited >