Author Topic: Omar Solitario Ali  (Read 284 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Omar Solitario Ali
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:36:39 PM »
Ex-mayors of Marawi hold out
By The Manila Times   on August 8, 2016 Top Stories

http://www.manilatimes.net/ex-mayors-of-marawi-hold-out/278733/

MARAWI CITY: Two former mayors mentioned by President Rodrigo Duterte as among politicians allegedly involved in illegal drugs refused to turn themselves in to authorities and vehemently denied being “narco-politicians.”

Fahad “Pre” Salic and his brother Omar “Solitario” Ali, both former mayors of Marawi, instead sent letters to Duterte appealing to revalidate his list of alleged protectors of drug traders.

“Why should I surrender, am I using drugs? Am I trading drugs? Am I protecting drug syndicates? There is no might or power except in Allah,” Salic said in a statement.

Salic’s adviser, Zubair Macaumbos, former Marawi City administrator, told The Manila Times Salic and Ali have “no plans to surrender but they are open for talks” with the President and the chief of the Philippine National Police.

“Surrendering is not a correct term for summoning suspects especially those belonging to a prominent family in Ranao (Lanao del Sur) as they are not proven guilty,” he said.

< Edited >

Duterte also named Solitario’s son, incumbent vice mayor Arafat Salic, who is set to surrender pending his request for “security assistance.”

< Edited >

In a separate letter, Salic said: “It is my fervent prayer that I be cleared of these accusations that caused so much embarrassment to me and my family, not only as a political leader but as a traditional leader.”

“I was also a Mujahideen (Islamic soldier), with my brother Omar Solitario Ali, before joining politics,” he added.

Salic, who was previously married to actress Alma Moreno, lost the Lanao del Sur gubernatorial race in the recent election.

< Edited >

====

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/08/19/President-Duterte-list-of-drug-personalities-politicians.html

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: Omar Solitario Ali
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:48:48 PM »
Duterte calls out ex-Marawi mayor linked to siege
Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 09 2017 07:53 PM | Updated as of Jun 09 2017 08:18 PM

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/06/09/17/duterte-calls-out-ex-marawi-mayor-linked-to-siege

President Rodrigo Duterte gestures as he delivers a speech to the members of the Philippine Army during a visit at the army headquarters in Taguigon October 4, 2016. Romeo Ranoco, Reuters

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday threatened to have a former Marawi City Mayor killed for his alleged involvement in the ongoing siege in the conflict-stricken city.

Speaking before troops in Sultan Kudarat, Duterte singled out former Marawi City Mayor Omar Solitario Ali, whose name is on the arrest order released by the Department of National Defense this week.

The list names 186 terrorists, spies, couriers and other associates linked to attacks in Marawi City and other parts of Mindanao.

The President recalled his recent phone call with Ali, a member of his political party Partido Demokratiko Pilipino- Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban), where he gave the latter a mouthful.

“Sabi ko, p*******, ano ka ba? Kampi ka sa gobyerno o kalaban tayo? Kasi sabi ko pinapahuli ka ni [Defense Secretary Delfin] Lorenzana, p**** i**, ipapatay talaga kita,” Duterte said in a speech before soldiers at a military camp in Sultan Kudarat.

< Edited >

====

Police recover P10-M shabu from ex-Marawi mayor's house
Friday, June 23, 2017

AUTHORITIES recovered P10-million worth of illegal drugs from the house of a former Marawi City mayor following their clearing operation in the city on Friday, June 23.

About two kilograms of crystal meth, locally known as shabu, were seized from the house of former Marawi City mayor Omar Solitario Ali, who was tagged by President Rodrigo Duterte last year as one of the local government officials involved in the illegal drug trade.

Ali is also included in the list of 125 alleged Maute members ordered to be arrested by the government.

Read more: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/local-news/2017/06/23/police-recover-p10-m-shabu-ex-marawi-mayors-house-549087
Follow us: @sunstaronline on Twitter | SunStar Philippines on Facebook
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:52:31 PM by adroth »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »
Duterte says ex-Marawi mayor commissioned to negotiate with Maute group
ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 09 2017 10:52 PM | Updated as of Sep 09 2017 11:59 PM

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/09/09/17/duterte-says-ex-marawi-mayor-commissioned-to-negotiate-with-maute-group

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday said former Marawi City mayor Omar Solitario Ali was commissioned by Presidential Peace Adviser Jesus Dureza to negotiate with the Maute group.

"Yes, correct. He was commissioned by Dureza. It was with the acquiescence, not expressly ni Secretary (Delfin) Lorenzana. Dureza, and I and Lorenzana had a talk on the desire of Solitario to surrender 'cause he found out his name was on the list," Duterte said in a press briefing at the Camp Evangelista Station Hospital in Cagayan de Oro City.

"Sabi niya, 'I’m better off working for you than putting me in prison.' He proposed many things, mostly talking peace with Mautes, bargaining doon sa hostages. More ako doon sa release ng hostages. I confirm that it really happened," he added.

< Edited >

Ali's name was previously included in the arrest order released by the Department of National Defense for alleged links to the Marawi siege and other attacks in Mindanao.
His brother, Fajad Umpar "Pre" Salic, also a former Marawi mayor, was arrested for rebellion at a checkpoint in Misamis Oriental last June.

< Edited >

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »

< Edited >

“Marawi City has the unsavory reputation of being the lynchpin in Muslim Mindanao’s drug economy,” (p. 104) and is, “in the grip of narco-politicans” (p. 105) so states International Alert’s “Out of the Shadows: Violent Conflict and the Real Economy of Mindanao,” an in depth book of research on the various “shadow economies,” including the illegal drug trade of Mindanao published in 2013.

Drug trading reportedly worsened during the political dynasty of Solitario who was mayor of Marawi from 2001-2007, and reached a full blown crisis under his half brother Fahad “Pre” Salic’s term as mayor of Marawi mayor from 2007-2016. Additionally, according to the aforementioned study, “an official with direct access to military intelligence stated that narco-politicians from Lanao del Sur are conniving with the Kuratong Baleleng” (p. 105), the supposed drug syndicate of the Parojinog clan in Ozamiz, who were recently killed in an anti-drug raid by the Philippine National Police.

< Edited >