Author Topic: Any one into Ham Radio?  (Read 18807 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: Any one into Ham Radio?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 11:25:54 AM »
Resurrecting photos that were lost with the old forum.

In 2007, a ham radio group arrived at Pag-asa by boat and were allowed to setup a station. The original links were lost with the original forum.

Photo credit to the owners.

Talibong

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
After 2007 there is DXODX in 2011 but postponed others who got there still managed to make contacts....before that there is 1S1CK in 1983 operating from Panata Cay and DX0K in 2005 Pag-asa Island all mentioned are initiated by Filipinos but earlier in the late 60's and 70's (world radio propagation study) are foreign DXpeditions with Filipino participation.

I think DX0JP in 2007 was a Japanese DX in partnership with Filipinos.

We may not hear another Spratley DX soon, propagation is not good..the sun is quiet  :-\

Talibong

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
thats not a bad idea, at first i thought there were only switches for multiple antennas to one radio, turns out thereís one for the opposite, multiple radios to one antenna. but will the power loss be negligible enough to give justice to the space saving achieved? money saving is a plus for sure when it comes to coax. so i can get the best coax and get just one coax line for all of it.

Insertion loss 1-3dB perhaps ? it's really a compromise when you have limited space....it's funny, I have more ample space to use but have been downsizing everything. I became QRP Solar power no more power supply, pocket end-fed antenna (not to mention stealthy ;-)).. currently I just use 1 radio and 2 antennas for 2m,6m,70cm and all HF Bands... the rests are kept in a box ;-)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:27:54 PM by Talibong »

brayski

• Timawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
QRP has itís challenges, iíd love to go and try qrp when i would go hiking outdoors, thinking of setting up the 706mk2G for that, would only stick to 20m band coz most likely the hiking would be done daytime, if there would be camping and staying out, then i will include a 40m antenna. thingking of going solar like you  ;D but bring a small lead battery for backup. its almost autumn here and would like to take advantage of the weather before winter comes.

btw, how does the R-72 performs, iím thinking of getting the R-70, there are some cheap R-70s i see in Ebay.

1-3db loss is not that bad, will definitely think about that setup.

also, i want to ask, if ever i go to the Philippines and want to go on air. What do i need to have to go on air? Can i use my call sign here (iím at ITU region 2) in the Philippines (which is under ITU region 3) or would i be needing some sort of permit, or take the NTC exam to have a separate Philippine Call sign to use while on air in the Philippines?
7,107 Islands
One Maritime Nation
One Navy

girder

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 10:59:54 PM »
Well this is interesting.

Pirates On US Navy Satellites - UHF SatCom
Fleet Satellite Communications System

It's amazing that this type of hardware is still in operation. Let alone that they're readily accessible to the public.

brayski

• Timawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 02:01:47 AM »
as soon as your able to pin point where to point your antenna up, given you have the "right" antenna, and able to transmit on the operating frequency, then you are good to go. These are Geostationary satellites so they tend to stay on one spot in the sky. they are practically repeaters in the sky with no authentication needed to trigger re-transmission of your signal.
these satellites are supposed to only last for 12 years
I guess the U.S. Navy don't want to spend money taking them down after the replacement satellites (Ultra High Frequency Follow-On) are up and running.
most likely these satellites are in the Western Hemisphere hence the Brazilians were able to hack the signal

since your into SDR
try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjClTnZ4Xh4
i would if i have time
7,107 Islands
One Maritime Nation
One Navy

Talibong

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
@Brayski, The Icom R-72  is one of the kindest receiver I got. works well even on HF band only, I'm happy with the filters and no problem with LCD display. the R-70 has LED display I think which I don't trust in the coming years.

I think FCC license has reciprocal agreement with NTC for 6 months.