Author Topic: Duterte insists West PH Sea et. al. belong to PH  (Read 11504 times)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
Re: Duterte insists West PH Sea et. al. belong to PH
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 10:15:17 AM »
Duterte claims he told Xi Jinping disputed territory belongs to PHL
Published February 22, 2018 11:37pm

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/644385/duterte-claims-he-told-xi-jinping-disputed-territory-belongs-to-phl/story/?utm_source=GMANews&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=news

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday claimed that he had told Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping that the territories disputed by the two nations belonged to the Philippines.

In a speech in Iloilo, Duterte told a story about making the pronouncements in a meeting with Xi while explaining why he didn't want to go to war with China.

"Ako pumunta ng China. I met President Xi Jinping. Ako at ang Gabinete ko. Ang nandoon si Lorenzana, si Esperon, si Manny Piñol. Sabi ko kay Xi Jinping, 'You know, Mr. President, I know that you are constructing many things there. I will go to our territory because that is ours.' Ang sinabi ko pa nandiyan man sila lahat, 'I will dig my oil,'" Duterte said.

"Tapos sabi ni Xi Jinping, mag-usap lang tayo. You know, that is ours. Sabi niya, no, we will just wait for the right time to talk about it. 'When is it?' Sabi niya, 'in due time,'" added the President, who has come under fire from critics for what they describe as a chummy relationship with Beijing amid the two countries' sea dispute.

< Edited >

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »
Duterte on Araw ng Kagitingan: Resist any attack on PH sovereignty
By: Nestor Corrales - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
INQUIRER.net / 12:00 AM April 09, 2018
Rodrigo Duterte - Sultan Kudarat - 2 April 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday urged Filipinos to protect the country’s independence and “resist” any attack on Philippine sovereignty.

“I am one with the entire Filipino people in the solemn observance of the Day of Valor,” the President said in his Araw ng Kagitingan message.

< Edited >

“Forces who wish to see a weak and submissive Philippines continue in their unbridled disrespect for the institutions and laws that embody our aspirations as a people,” he said.

He then reminded Filipinos of “our sacred duty and obligation to defend the honor of our motherland.”

< Edited >

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/981005/rodrigo-duterte-araw-ng-kagitingan-message#ixzz5C9HFV663
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 03:40:09 AM »
We are not giving up West Philippine Sea rights – Duterte
Christina Mendez (The Philippine Star) - May 16, 2018 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines has not given up its sovereignty rights over certain areas in the disputed South China Sea, President Duterte insisted yesterday.

Duterte made the claim even after he had discussed the matter in the past with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

“We are not giving up our rights in the West Philippine Sea. As a matter of fact, we are still insisting until now to the point that they are now willing…” he said during his trip off the coast of Aurora.

< Edited >

He said Xi gave his word that the South China Sea row would be solved in a non-confrontational manner.

“We would always find a solution to any problem,” Duterte quoted Xi as saying.

“China is offering a joint exploration and development. Xi Jingping said, ‘maybe we will have a bigger share.’ Let’s see,” the President added.

< Edited >

Read more at https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2018/05/16/1815714/we-are-not-giving-west-philippine-sea-rights-duterte#UKWwdttAXzwrSril.99

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »
DFA says PH not giving up an inch of territory to China
Updated November 15, 2018, 10:43 PM
By Argyll Cyrus Geducos

https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/11/15/dfa-says-ph-not-giving-up-an-inch-of-territory-to-china/?fbclid=IwAR3rDSUDGl-p9PSrE0qG6iwtjC5CcZAyEd0EvJf1UXem0KLGhJ9N-dRW3mE

SINGAPORE—The Philippine government will never give up an iota of its claim in the West Philippine Sea despite the overwhelming presence of China in the disputed resource-filled waterway.

Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. made the statement after President Duterte, in an ambush interview here, said that countries should now accept that China is in possession of the disputed waters.

< Edited >

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 01:49:32 PM »
Troops to continue patrolling WPS: DND chief
By Priam Nepomuceno December 20, 2018, 1:36 pm

http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1057142

MANILA -- The country will continue patrolling the West Philippine Sea (WPS), Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said Thursday.

He added that this will be the thrust of the defense establishment for the coming year.

"We will still continue with our activities there, nagpapatrolya tayo (we patrol) regularly, so we will continue on strengthening our islands. Meron tayong siyam na (We have nine) islands, the people at the (BRP) Sierra Madre (a grounded landing ship tank) will still be there. (Continuous) pa rin yung ating replacement ng tao regularly plus yung resupply nila. (The replacement of people and resupply is continuous)," Lorenzana said.

Also, the DND chief said they also keep protesting if they see any actions of the Chinese that are inconsistent with Philippine national interest.

When asked to expound on what he means by "strengthening our islands", Lorenzana said this refers to improvements on the housing accommodation for troops deployed there, especially in Pag-asa Island.

"Meron tayong pera kasing nakalaan na yung mga tirahan ng ating mga sundalo eh kasi ngayon mga kubo-kubo lang yun eh, bigyan naman natin sila ng magandang tirahan, mga barracks, especially dun sa (We have allotted funds for the shelter of our troops because right now, they only have huts there. We should give them good shelters, barracks, especially in) Pag-asa. At the end of next year, we expect the runway to be repaired and we are doing the beaching ramp,” the DND chief said, adding that the ramp is already 42 percent completed.

Once completed, the ramp will enable them to bring in the necessary materials and equipment to repair the runway. (PNA)

adroth

• Administrator
  • Boffin
    • View Profile
    • The ADROTH Project
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 02:46:11 AM »
The Philippines is not afraid of Chinese ‘debt trap’ — Teddy Locsin Jr.
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - February 17, 2019 - 12:00am

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/02/17/1894367/philippines-not-afraid-chinese-debt-trap-teddy-locsin-jr?fbclid=IwAR2TTJhFt0IR2iTaejZ0HUGhBfGqOHoO4gSTJq6WEOefVs2SPKCyLhp2jO8

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines is not afraid of the so-called debt trap strategy of the Chinese government, according to Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr.

Speaking at the Hungarian Institute of Foreign Affairs and Trade during his official visit to Hungary on Thursday, Locsin said the Philippines has experienced worse in the past under the Western financial system.

“The West went into paroxysms of ecstasy over our people power revolution, which was a rebuke to communism as a way forward,” he said, referring to the 1986 People Power Revolt that toppled the Marcos dictatorship.

“Still the West threatened our new democracy with financial destruction if it did not pay back every dollar lent by Western banks to the dictatorship which stole every cent of it. Democratic victory was good for a pat on the back, but not good enough for debt forgiveness,” he added.

< Edited >

In his lecture, Locsin also said the Philippines under the Duterte administration was able to manage its disagreements with China over territories in the South China Sea.

He said the government was able to do so “without retreating an inch from our rightful and inalienable ownership of everything within the widest extent of our sovereign reach in history and international law.

Locsin did not discuss recent activities of China in the disputed region, including the construction of various facilities in features within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone.

< Edited >

Locsin, however, reiterated the so-called “independent foreign policy” pursued by President Duterte since assuming office in 2016.

“When I first addressed our foreign ministry on my assumption of office, I told them how a truly independent foreign policy should be pursued,” recalled the foreign affairs secretary, the third to serve under the present administration.

“It is not independent foreign policy if you simply switch the master before whom you are kneeling. You are still on your knees before another master. An independent foreign policy means getting off your knees and on your feet – and standing up for your country. That is true independence,” he noted.

And while the Philippine Constitution renounces war as an instrument of national policy, Locsin said it only refers to offensive war and never to national defense.

Read more at https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/02/17/1894367/philippines-not-afraid-chinese-debt-trap-teddy-locsin-jr?fbclid=IwAR2TTJhFt0IR2iTaejZ0HUGhBfGqOHoO4gSTJq6WEOefVs2SPKCyLhp2jO8#Q2BhIc48sYjthGWK.99

masq

• Timawan
  • Tyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2019, 06:00:39 PM »
'The time has come': Duterte to invoke PH arbitral win in fifth China visit
https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/06/19/duterte-to-invoke-ph-arbitral-win-in-china-visit-this-august
Duterte, in a speech on Tuesday afternoon, confirmed plans to discuss the arbitral ruling with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping during his upcoming trip, his fifth as President.

“‘Yung arbitral ruling, pag-usapan natin ‘yan (We will talk about the arbitral ruling). That’s why I’m going to China,” he said during the oath-taking of newly-elected officials of the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Inc.

“I’m going to China to talk. Did I not tell you before, that before my term ends, I will be talking about the [South] China Sea?” he said, noting that there are “scuffles” that need to be addressed.

Earlier in the day, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said "the time has come" for the Philippines to assert its rights in the West Philippine Sea in light of rising maritime tensions in the area.